A Fruitful Exercise - Dash Removal

SolihullBeast

Currently my 93 disco 200tdi is sitting in the yards awaiting a new gearbox and transfer box, and because I know it will be there a while as I'm on student minimum wage! I have decided to remove all the air-conditioning components (I had it discharged a while back) so that I could have a cubby box and a glove box, more engine space and mainly because I simply prefer opening the window! So I reluctantly accepted that It was a dash out job, so over a couple of day I have attacked the dash with some tools and it is off, to as difficult as I thought but plenty of little screws to be lost! But I discovered several interesting things which explain a lot;

1. On my alarm/immobiliser ECU (land rover 17vt ecu type) there was a cable coming out of it which had been cut, it was a television style cable with a single pin male which went into the ECU, what is it supposed to be connected to? and would it explain why my key fob has never worked? Is it an antenna connection? anyone know?

2. The clutch return spring appeared to be broken, is this a common fault? the clutch still returns normally(a bit wobbly at the top range of its movement) I cant find the part number anywhere, I would really like to fit a new one. Any Ideas as to where to get one?

Cheers

Sam

Just to wind you you up it isnt a dash out job to remove the air con compresser, Its possible cos I've done it.

And for you clutch return spring do u mean the spring that sits between the pedal and bulkhead/pedal box? It should be easy to get one from a scrapper or even main dealer

The electronics that read the 'tag' in the keyfob usually run a bit of co-ax up to the coil that goes around the key. It's a bit like an antenna, but very short range. Not for the keyfob remote, but for the key-in-the-hole immobiliser.

I don't honestly know if this typeof immobiliser is present on the 200tdi '93 disco - I know that there is not a functioning one on my 300tdi '96 disco. As for anyone elses - that's for the experts!

Kev

Just to wind you you up it isnt a dash out job to remove the air con compresser, Its possible cos I've done it.

And for you clutch return spring do u mean the spring that sits between the pedal and bulkhead/pedal box? It should be easy to get one from a scrapper or even main dealer

your quite rights sir! it is not a dash out job for the compressor, however I am removing ALL of the air-conditioning components which include the fans and electronics which sit awkwardly behind the dash, hence its removal! the compressor is the easy bit! removing the compressors has given me lots of nice new engine bay space to play with

The TV coax jack is for the remote (fob) anntena which if u still have one is located up in the A piller. U don't have a passive immobiliser so no cables to the ignition switch surround from the alarm ecu..