wont turn over

klaatu

can any one tell me what i might do to start my 1992 3.9 classic range rover i have just bought it it had been stood for a while when i picked it up we had to jump start it

i drove it 160 miles home tried starting it thinking it would of started but all i could hear was the selanoid clicking so i put a new battery on it off my 1985 rangie same thing so i spent a day changing the starter motor off my old one on to the new one its quiet a job but got there in the end and same thing happend just the click of the selanoid

i have just swapped the starter relays around with the other yellow ones and this hasnt done anything either i can feel the starter relay clicking when you try to start it so thats as far as my skills will take me any one who can help it will be appreciated thanks steve

thanks vougese i have just put a earth straight from the battery its just the same i also tried jumping the two nuts on the selanoid this used to work on my old transit but this didnt do anything one more thing when i went down tonight the battery had gone flat i dont know if this means anything its not even trying to turn the engine over i cant undersand how it startes when i picked it up with a jump start i wonder if its not getting the full power from the battery

Are you sure it's charging when running ?

Was the charge light on in the dash at all ?

Could be dead alternator, you losing charge all the way home after the jump and now totally flat and unable to turn the engine ?

Neil

right lads just an update when i put my new battery and starter motor off my 1985 v8 carbs rangie the 1992 v8 efi still did the same just a click no turning over

so i put the starter moter that i thought was dead off the 1992 rangie on to my 1985 rangie and it started straight away so the starter must be ok so i have a starter motor off my old rangie on the newer one and a good battery so i can rule them out

i tried jumping it off my old one like when i picked it up but still the same

im not sure which is the starter relay im guessing by turning the ignition on and feeling for a click i have swaped these relays around with other yellow ones and that hasnt done anything but like i said im not sure i have the starter relay as the haynes manual and a workshop disk i have says they might be in a differant place i think that its on the right hand as your sat in the car panel next to the accelarator pedal im sure it must be something simple i even thought of the alarm but if it were that i dont think the starter would click any thought s ?