power steering

bushwhacker

Hi all,

One of the (older) guys in our club has a sweet Range Rover chassis, V8, Lightweight bodied vehicle that does not have power steering.( When he is pulling away up hill we all fall to our knees)O what a sweet sound. He uses it both offroad and onroad. He wants p/s very badly.

Did the first RR come with no p/s.

We beleive it to be a RR chassis as it has coils and 1 rear shock forward of the axle and 1 to the rear.

Would it be possible to fit a p/s system to this sort of set up.

It,s on a galvanized chassis but he wont mind a bit of grinding to have p/s.

He would really appreceiate any help, thoughts and ideas on how to achieve the p/s system.

Thanks

Just bolt on a power steering box and fit a pump to the engine and it should be good :)

I broke a really old rrc and that had the 3 bolt style box, but i think a normal 4 bolt (found on disco's, defenders, rrc's ) will fit.

V8's come with power steering pumps so brackets etc shouldn't be a problem to find.

HTH

Gordon

We have just finished doing this very job on our RR based trialler. Used a Disco box and pump. If you have a V belt engine which I assume you have, you will need a 200 series pump as it has the correct pulley. You will proably need a Disco steering arm as the ends are a different configuration on the Disco. All in all it took me and my Dad two and a half days to put everything together.

All I can add is that was well worth it!

Regards,

Paul

Big thanks.

Great information.If you think of anything else please send it on. :D

Actually, there is one other thing. When you have it all plumbed in and start to bleed the air out, DO NOT stop the engine until all the air is out. If you do, you will have an ATF fountain from the resrvoir.

Go on, ask me how I know!