Painting Galvanised steel.

Maverik

I have a new LR door - steel type fully galvanised, it doesn;t have an undercoat so I need to prime it.

I have read verious things about how it needs a little work to properly prime it. - it being my door I want to try get this right so the paint system doesn't start to peel off within a week.

Can anyone give me any pointers to how to do this, i.e. paint type, finish etc.

I read somewhere it needed wiping down with amonia? - are there any paints out ther that people have used that can do thi already?

Cheers

Mav

We use UPOL ACID 8 ETCH PRIMER on all galv,prepare door with scotch pads or wet and dry if the surface is very uneven, wipe with panel wipe and spray etch primer then high build undercoat, flat back , clean with tack rags , then top coat........ simples :D

We use UPOL ACID 8 ETCH PRIMER on all galv,prepare door with scotch pads or wet and dry if the surface is very uneven, wipe with panel wipe and spray etch primer then high build undercoat, flat back , clean with tack rags , then top coat........ simples :D

fozsug, do you work in a body shop? I've been using Acid 8 etch for some other stuff, gotta say I'm pretty immpressed with it.

Does t-wash chemicaly roughen then surface? by the description of application, it speeds up an oxidisation process? - which presumably creates a better keying surface?...

I just dont want to paint to a keyed galvanised surface then find out I should have oxidised it before hand.

fozsug, do you work in a body shop? I've been using Acid 8 etch for some other stuff, gotta say I'm pretty immpressed with it.

Does t-wash chemicaly roughen then surface? by the description of application, it speeds up an oxidisation process? - which presumably creates a better keying surface?...

I just dont want to paint to a keyed galvanised surface then find out I should have oxidised it before hand.

No in a coach-builders, we use the Acid 8 on all galv and aluminium where we have either fitted new panels or repaired panels. We use it after we have welded galv as well before putting a cold galv spray on as we found that it makes the spray stick much better.

As for "t-wash" never used it so can comment

HTH

Tony