help NASTY KNOCK from front right wheel

dazwell24

hey guys i have a really nasty knock from my front right wheel it has just started with no previous warning any ideas before i take it apart bearing in mind im away from home and have very limited tools it sounds like a u.j gone how much work is it to do if it is the u.j

hey guys i have a really nasty knock from my front right wheel it has just started with no previous warning any ideas before i take it apart bearing in mind im away from home and have very limited tools it sounds like a u.j gone how much work is it to do if it is the u.j

No UJs - CVs on the front of a Disco. Is the knock always there while moving, or just when you turn, brake or accelerate?

hi thanks for reply i have just had a good look around it and cant see anything like the prop uj loose its making the knock whether im in gear or free wheeling i have checked it whilst jacked up and no knock when rotating the wheel by hand i have also spun both wheels together and nothing i have checked the diff oil and everything ok its starting to sound expensive :-(

You say the knock is there all the time when moving, does it get louder or faster depending on driven speed or is it constant regardless of speed?

Have you checked the tyre for bulges or foreign objects stuck in it?

Are the wheel nuts tight?

Have you checked the shock absorber nuts and bushes

Have you checked the radius arm bushes and nuts

Have you checked the track rods and ends

Is the steering damper secure

Is it definitely coming from the wheel area

Sorry for the long list just trying to get to where its coming from.

it gets faster, slower and louder and quieter depending on speed i have checked the radius arms and wheel nuts and all linkages and they all appear to be fine and tight

You don't say which model or age of disco but if a Disco II i would check the the lower bush on the shock absorber. They often work loose and you can replace them for under £10 rather than replace the entire shocker. When mine worked loose you could push the lower end of the shock absorber back and forth on the bush with no bother at all.

Also if Disco II, check the ball joints that locate the hub carrier onto the axle. If you jack the car up and use a pry bar to work the carrier with respect the axle to check. I did this job recently as well - an all day job to do both sides and a 5 out of 5 spanner challenge!

Failing that i would suspect the CV joint if you cant feel any play in the bearings.

Andy

wonder if its a axel prob?..i would be inclined to look towards a drivetrain problem \ axel?

Try your diff lever on the offchance theres a DT prob?

sounds like somethings sheared or stripped suddenly....

no sure if you can take the front prop off??? to disconect drive here???

Rich

CV's would tend to go "click click click click..." and get worse as you steer. They're also usually pretty quiet when driving streight ahead.

If it gets louder at full lock then i'd be suggesting you look at the CV's

thanks very much for sussgestions but i have given up as at the moment i dont have the time or tools to sort it out have just handed it over to a dealer too busy on the farm for messing about at the mo :-( bang goes all my over time !!!!!!!!