Discovery TD5 Clutch.

ColinR

Vehicle is a TD5 Discovery: Jan 2003.

My clutch was slipping and got a garage to fix it, however not a 100% happy with the job and have some queries that the garage have answered but I think there trying it on. So can anyone share their knowledge/expierience?

Theres some small bolts that hold a plate on the front of the bellhousing between the engine/bellhousing, it goes all the way round. Is it normal for these to break and does it cause a problem if there not replaced, reckon there M6?

The bellhousing/clutch acoustic cover was left off, I am told its because their impossible to refit as you cannot get to the top bolts with it on. I am told this is standard practice.

I found that the one of the top bolts is missing in anycase, think its a M10, its the one that has the bracket supporting the pipe from the slave cylinder to the master.

The clutch slave cylnder was also replaced, I seem to recall this had a heat shield but not sure. Anyone know if they do and perhaps post a picture of what it looks like.

Thanks in anticipation.

What a load of cr@p....yes there not an easy job but if you remove it you put it back...simple.

If some bolts have snaped then they should have drilled them out and made good...the top one should be in as it holds a coolent pipe that runs round the rear of the engine.

I carnt remember seeing a heat sheild on the slave cylinder but i could be wrong.

I replaced the complete clutch in my 2001 Td5 last year myself .

I removed the engine rather than the gearbox - but the the dismantling/reassembly would be much the same .

Some bolts can be difficult to access - but it can be done.

The bracket for the pipe would be very important to hold pipe steady ( could fracture later due to vibration etc ) and of course the bolt itself would be important in helping to clamp bellhousing / engine evenly .

The plate between engine and bellhousing is very important in in aligning engine and box - again missing bolts weaken its effect considerably. As K88 said if they broke (unlikely) then they should have been sorted .

And when I was unbolting/refitting the gearbox the acoustic cover didn't cause any problems . Could have been forgotten about until box back in place ?

IMHO everything should go back that was removed .

And there was no form of heat shield on the clutch slave in mine .