Rear axle?

Hi all,

just wanted to know if you could advise me on my latest noise on the money pit? When changing gears 1 to 5 or reverse there is a bang, not loud, but its there, also if i dont really feather the clutch out slowly there is a small jolt that accompanies the noise?

I have been told that it could be the gearing being worn in the rear axle?

The truck is an 87 "90" but I beleive the axle is from a disco as it has brake discs at the rear?

Any help or mental health advice appreciated :ph34r:

Paul

Slop anywhere in the drivetrain TBH, but I would start with A-frame ball joint, prop UJs, drive flanges and half shafts, axle mounting bushes.

Then more expensive/complicated stuff is CVs, diff wear, transfer box wear (in that order).

If it's only a little bang, it's probably normal, and you are looking for something that isn't there :P But worth checking the first list anyways.

Paul,have a look at all the bushes on the rear and especially check the rear A frame ball joint and also check the mounting bolts from the A frame brackets to the chassis as I've had a knock from that area before-not only was the A frame ball joint U/S but the bolts to the chassis from the brackets was loose too

HTH

John

Hi all

Thanks for the reply, i have checked all of the above and there is no movement that i can see, hear or feel? the only thing that seems to replicate the noise and feeling is the rear prop, it moves as it would when being driven about an inch in either direction(clockwise and anti-clockwise) but there is also a slight movement forwards and backwards, only ever-so slight movement but this is by hand so it would be greater with the engine doing it?

Paul