mixed bag

Fordrover

Hi again to all. I'm not new to the forum but have been unable to reset my password ,so I had to create a new account using my work email. Please administrators help as more people could be having the same problem.

I finally got a Salisbury front axle (for a 109) and i'm in the process of fitting it. Seriously strong axle but I'm worried about the availability of half/side shafts. Any recommendations or mods anyone can share?

I'm also looking for a set of ARB lockers as Britpart are out of stock. They are ARB part number RD32.

The centre portion cover was badly damaged so I fit a new one and I'm thinking of using the old one to manufacture a diff guard. Such a strong axle - such a flimsy cover plate????

Thanks

Gareth

Great find!

Cover is simple, look for a d60 offroad prepped cover from the usa, they will fit.

Shafts may be a pain but i bet ashcrofts or rakeway can make you custom jobbies if need be.

Are your shafts cv type or uj?? as usually the uj fails before anything else in them (freind has one with an arb), if you notice then you will save the shafts, if not lord help you as the uj ears get mashed in the swivel.

G

Great find!

Cover is simple, look for a d60 offroad prepped cover from the usa, they will fit.

Shafts may be a pain but i bet ashcrofts or rakeway can make you custom jobbies if need be.

Are your shafts cv type or uj?? as usually the uj fails before anything else in them (freind has one with an arb), if you notice then you will save the shafts, if not lord help you as the uj ears get mashed in the swivel.

G

Was hoping that there is a mod I could do like change to cv type shafts, but where to start. I have nothing to compare them to. Heard the short shaft tends to shear just outside the splines and told case hardening them helps. The longer shaft has some signs of wear on the splines. Some chrome-molly side shafts would be the beezneez. Have found some stronger looking Toyo universals and installed them. I want the weak point on the whole drive train to be the drive flanges as they are cheap and easy to replace anywhere.

Something else I forgot to ask was whether I had to use a cranked track rod with the Salisbury? I haven't got that far. I also hear the track rod tends to bend under severe torque. Read here someone said they have rear track rod setup. Mine is in front of the axle. Was thinking of fitting a second set of steering arms in place of the kingpins and fitting a second track rod behind the axle. One would handle torque better under braking and the other under power. Are the pins on the steering arms and kingpins the same diameter?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Gareth

Great find!

G

I got uj type but wouldn't mind changing to cv's if such a mod is doable and there are plenty backup spares available.

I got some stronger looking Toyo universals fitted to my ENV axle and thought of getting the same for the Salisburys.

Ultimately I want my weak point in my drive train to be the drive flanges as they are cheap and easy to replace anywhere.

I'm running a Ford 302 (5 liter) V8 and Toyota Surf (R150F) 5 speed manual gearbox, so there's plenty power and torque and at the moment my weak point will be the side shafts/universals.

The 109 v8 had cvs as standard, so that could be a good starting point. as for an arb, ashcroft should be able to help here, the front shafts, great basin rovers in the us should be able to do.

Daan