uh oh ! am i in trouble

oldsscool

Hi all - bit of a nasty moment earlier with the above lights on all of a sudden and car felt like it was in limp home mode - turned ignition off and on again and lights went out and car drove fine again - should i worry about this ? i have an obd reader will it help ? is this something an auto es might do sometimes as a glitch or is it a sign of problems developing somewhere - any advice please

It would have been - stops in 3rd gear usually hence sluggish performance. You need to talk to a computer to find out what is wrong. It may be intermittent at the moment but will most likely get worse.

Forget OBD it won't work you need a proper LR specific system (testbook, T4, autologic or similar) and the socket is in the drivers footwell.

It is most likely to be the WXYZ switch on the side of the gearbox but it needs the computer to confirm this and a LR special tool to set up the new switch, it's a bit expensive to change as a "maybe" without confirming fault codes logged, I think they are about £150 odd. If it isn't that, wiring faults, gearbox ecu faults or an internal gearbox fault are all possible, but you're just guessing without running a diagnostic check first.