levelling unit

Hi all

My levelling unit isn't looking too good and after investigation I have found that they are very expensive. It might sound a silly question but I think that I have read somewhere that you can take these off and not replace them; can anyone tell me if this is correct?

Also the bushes on the A frame don't look very good to me either but have passed two MOT's; are these not covered on the MOT?

Thanks again ( a lot more questions to come no doubt ;) )

post-17701-128068593414_thumb.jpg

Yes, remove the Boge strut & change the rear springs to the non-levelled or hardtop rear springs or similar items from other suppliers.

all the suspension bushes get looked at during MOT, as they hold the axles onto the chassis, if suspect change them.

Yes, remove the Boge strut & change the rear springs to the non-levelled or hardtop rear springs or similar items from other suppliers.

all the suspension bushes get looked at during MOT, as they hold the axles onto the chassis, if suspect change them.

Hi western thanks for that.

Two more questions for you, if you don't mind:

1. You say remove the Boge strut, is that the whole thing? You also said replace the old springs; as I'm not an off roader can you recommend some suitable springs that won't break the bank as the MOT that I've just had has already cost me £700 :blink:

2. The A frame bushes don't look very good and the A frame ball joint has a split in the rubber so I would like to do them both; is that something I can do myself? I'm no great mechanic but I have been able to replace all the other ball joints,front swivel housing and hubs etc

Does the A frame ball joint need any special tools that you know of?

(I know, I know that's more than two questions :rolleyes: )

ps any part numbers would be great.

Yes, remove the strut & it's upper bracket from the chassis [4 bolts/nuts] the lower end below the rubber boot of the lower ball joint is a thin nut, undo this & extract the ball joint from it's housing, the lower bracket/cup can stay in place.

for springs the existing units are too soft to be used without the strut, the vehicle will wallow about when moving, a pair of rear springs from a hardtop these will be a good replacement http://members.shaw.ca/jbarge/RKB101111.html part number is RKB101111, or equivalent from Bearmach/Paddocks/Terrafirma depending on cost 7 how much you want to spend, have a look on ebay too.

A frame bushes change

balljoint page 439, item 12

rear springs non-levelled rear, item 15

A frame/rear axle balljoint not a how to, but will give some guidance