RRC VM 2.5 vs 200tdi

ivanlrlukic

I was offered pretty RRC with VM 2.5 engine. Since vehicle is 20 yrs old is it worth considering because of VM engine? Mostly I wonder about reliability, parts availability and parts price.

How much is it behind 200tdi engine?

Any other comment on such vehicle is welcomed.

Regards, Ivan.

I wouldnt even think about it,over the years I've seen enough of VM's to actually ban them from my workshop.Trouble is from the time you are daft enough to put a spanner on one you become mother and father to it.I know some people had good luck with them,but they are in a minority - a very small one.

I dont normally quote individual examples,but in this case I will.Eleven years ago I bought a beaten up RRC,200TDI with 149,000m on it.Full history etc,had a head gasket at 72,000 - thats it.I did a timing belt on it and took it to 216,000m.Sold it to a local farmer who took it to 242,000m,its now pretty rusty and standing in a barn.I've agreed to buy the engine back to go in a Series 3 I'm building.All I plan doing is another timing belt and an oil change.Even the injectors have never been serviced - but it goes as well as it ever did,once returning 37mpg on a long Devon touring holiday.

VM diesels just cant match long term reliabilty like this.I've just done the boot floor in my 300tdi disco as its only done 170,000m and uses no oil or water and absolutely flies along.Looked after 200 or 300 will do LOTS of hard work.VM are a gamble.

on paper the vm is the better engine but in prctise it is a problem waiting to boil up cook the heads and leave you in the carp, but having said that i have had a couple of really nice ones and have out done the 200 tdi brothers easily.

i call it the herby effect every now and then a real gen goes though rest of the time its a pile of poo