EGR removal kit and de-cat pipe on a Defender 300 tdi

Hi every one,

Firstly, sorry if you have covered this before, I use my Defender for my daily drive, around 70 miles and wouldn't mind getting more mpg, so:

1. Is getting an EGR removal kit and de-cat pipe worth it (I'm aware it does not affect an MOT - or does it)?

2. Should it be surrendered to your insurance company?

Thanks beforehand.

I would say yes, it's definately worth doing the egr and de-cat, why would you want hot dirty gasses going back through the engine......... daft idea if you ask me, and also, the cat.......... its like having ahouse brick in your exhasut.............

And as for insurance, i guess that as it wouldmn;t be standard factory spec, then yes, they should be told........... only to cover your arse though!

Do it you wont regret it, its also worth removing the inlet manifold, and intercooler and flushing out the sticky gunky black marmite mess you will find inside.

and you can even get the genuine blanking plate and gasket from the main dealers for very little. The part numbers are listed somewhere on this forum

I'd do the egr first then the cat and see how you go at each. I second what doda said, well worth taking off the inlet manifold (very easy only 4 quite accessible bolts), and while you can, clear as much cack as you possibly can out of the ports in the cylinder head as well as the manifold, with something like carb cleaner. Get a new hose for the intercooler/manifold connection, as the old one will be full of muck, check the others aren't collapsing inside, and block the EGR vacuum ports etc. Definitely not needed for MOT. I think one thing that might help your mpg would be an injector service especially if they have a lot miles on and if you are getting black smoke. Losing the cat can make it a bit freer breathing but (even) noisier. Nigel