More P38 problems.

Les Henson

Sure, all cam shaft lobes looked fine. I would say that visually the engine was very clean with the sole exception of the rocker covers. The O/S rocker assembly was in the passenger footwell and about 1/3 full of water/oil when the vehicle was delivered to me. No rust though fortunatley, and it all cleaned-up fine. Stem seals and valves were re-seated by me as well. The shims under the pillar would affect all valves equally.

Les. :)

Sure, all cam shaft lobes looked fine. I would say that visually the engine was very clean with the sole exception of the rocker covers. The O/S rocker assembly was in the passenger footwell and about 1/3 full of water/oil when the vehicle was delivered to me. No rust though fortunatley, and it all cleaned-up fine. Stem seals and valves were re-seated by me as well. The shims under the pillar would affect all valves equally.

Les. :)

Years ago I did a headgasket job on an old bluebird. After the gasket was fitted, the engine smoked, whereas it hadn't before. It was burning oil. I couldn't understand how this could happen. I checked and rechecked everything. I did a compression test - well within specs. I phoned four nissan garages for advice, 3 couldn't understand it either, one said it needs new rings. The mechanic said it had happened to them once, and the cause wasn't easily explained but glaze busting the bores and fitting new rings fixed it.

So I bit the bullet, pulled the head again, and did the rings. Perfect.

I have done many, many different engines over the years and this is the only time it happened to me, and I can only think that somehow the oil control rings were 'upset' during the period of cleaning/head off.

It may be completely unrelated to your problem Les, but thought it might be of interest.

Regards,

Diff