My 90 skid when braking

Tibout

Thanks for the info. Will check and clean both sides. By air cleaning, do you mean you just blast it with an air hose or clean it without water?

Just blow some air from an air compressor to get the dust out. Be careful to do on a ventilated area. Brake lining dust is not the best to inhale. If for some reason the brake liners are soaked with oil from some leaking seal or from brake fluid, normally you should replace. One old trick is to torch-burn them dry, but it is a process that should be done on your own risk.

This has made interesting reading.

The rear brakes on my '86 90TD have been locking up for some time. I thought it was because I'd removed the hard top, sides and rear door so the back end was much lighter.

But yesterday after finishing rebuilding the Near Side swivel I decided to check the brakes before putting the caliper back on.

There was only 1 piston doing anything and the other 3 were stuck solid.

With the aid of some clamps and a mate we've freed the other pistons a bit and I've cleaned them with paraffin and a toothbrush, enough to get the dust seals off the pistons as they'd popped out with the pistons. I left them liberally coated in paraffin overnight so I'm hoping to get them moving better today.

Looks like I'll need a new seal kit as a minimum so its useful to know I should be buying OE rather than pattern.

My 90 used to lock up one back wheel under heavy braking too. they used to squeal like a pig as well. With the drums off a quick look identified one of the springs wasn't on correctly (compared it with here: http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=33910). Anyhow moved the spring to the correct position and I haven't had it lock up since. Squealing went as well. :)

Worth checking the springs perhaps?