Disco 300TDi Resto

Station-MotorSport

I am appalled that there was no paint on the arches etc, no wonder they rot in no time, that rear quarter panel to roof join is a bitch to seal!

I would have thought that a body in that condition would be scrapped, I am amazed that you are fighting through the rot that seems to be everywhere, this is clearly not a job that just anyone could tackle, can't wait for more progress pictures.

I've recently repaired by sills, i was amazed at the 'factory finish' on them. As you say, you can clearly see where the sill sections were never attached to the rear arch panels, it's a great place for mud etc to find it's way into the box section and rot from the inside out!

The passenger side sill was full of mud and other nasty stuff - took ages to try and clean it up before welding...

• 3 weeks later...

Hi.

Lol, if it wasnt for the fact the engine has had a new head and injection pump I really would have thrown it away.

The engine starts and runs like a dream, no smoke / nasty noises or anything.

Ive decided its going to end up a different colour now.

Ive seen a few of the 3dr commercial disco's in white with black bumpers that look good and as I really like the combination (hence our 205GTi and Defender too!) it will be white all over, black door surrounds and black steel bumper conversion.

Once the bodywork is sorted Im going to lift the shell clear of the chassis and give that a quick going over, basic sand blast and repaint along with all new brake lines etc, will run them along the chassis rather than under the floors, where ever a brake line clip goes through the floor it has rotten through which makes me think they drilled them after it was painted!

Watch this space!

Hi.

Estimate on cost... thats a difficult one.

If it was to the level I'm doing this one then I really honestly dont think it would be worth it, unless of course you have some particular reason to want to keep the Discovery in question, such as heavily modified, with loads of expensive goodies etc.

At a guess I would think that you would be talking around the £4-£5000 mark for the strip down, repair work and rebuild. But that wouldnt include all the bodywork and respray. To do that would probably be another £2000 to do it properly - all seals, trims, rubbers etc removed, painting door shuts, engine bay etc.