Pay & Play Slab Common, Bordon, Hants Sunday 31st October

FITZ

Pay & Play Slab Common, Bordon, Hants Sunday 31st October

Slab Common is one of Hampshires premier off road Venues.

Hants & Berks invites all 4x4 owners to our drive around / Play day. The site offers a wide variety of terrain to suit all levels of off road ability.

£25 gets you entry and access to all the off roading you can handle. If you are not a member of an MSA affilitated club you will need to join ours (for insurance purposes). This can be done on the day for an additional £5

Driving starts at 10am but your welcome to turn up earlier to sign in and have a chat. More information can be found at: http://www.hbro.co.uk/drvdays/drvday.html

Is the whole site open or will bits be taped off for trials ?

Also is it a drive anywhere or follow the leader round a marked course ?

Eight small sections of the site will be taped off for RTV but as soon as RTV section is driven they will immediately be available to everyone. By lunchtime only 4 small RTV sections will remain. Please remember that this will account for a very very small area of the overall site.

It's not a follow your leader. As you probably know Slab Common is a huge area and there's plenty of variety and plenty of places to test you car to it limits if that what you want.

Eight small sections of the site will be taped off for RTV but as soon as RTV section is driven they will immediately be available to everyone. By lunchtime only 4 small RTV sections will remain. Please remember that this will account for a very very small area of the overall site.

Last time this happened the trials sections where taped off for most of the day and in the case of the last sections used, all day, naturally they were all on the best parts of the site.

As the drive around people out numbered the trialers by about 10 to 1, myself and the people I was with felt we were subsidising the hire of the site so people could go trialing on it, not a problem as such, other then we were excluded from the best bits.

Last time this happened the trials sections where taped off for most of the day and in the case of the last sections used, all day, naturally they were all on the best parts of the site.

As the drive around people out numbered the trialers by about 10 to 1, myself and the people I was with felt we were subsidising the hire of the site so people could go trialing on it, not a problem as such, other then we were excluded from the best bits.

I'm genuinely sorry to hear that was your experience. It always HLBRO's intent give everyone good value and as much access as possible. HLBRO always pull the canes after each RTV section. They always drive 4 sections before lunch. So the max is 4 sections with canes after lunch. Slab common is such a large area I can't see this having a real adverse affect to the drive round.

RTV's are run with the Drive round to keep cost down for both parties. The RTV drivers also pay to drive. The hire of the army sites like Slab and Broxhead is costly. The club has made losses in the recent past even with combining the drive round and the RTV.

BTW, I should say these are my personal observations not HBLRO's as I'm not a HLBRO committee member just a keen driver. I hope clubs like HLBRO can continue to offer access to off road sites like this and that the ever tightening rules, regulations and insurance costs don't put them out of bounds. Enjoy them while you can before they disappear like most of our byways.