ABS Information

cookie64

thanks for the reply i was hoping there wasnt loads o confusing electricery as im looking to rob the entire system of me dads disco for the defender

I really wouldn't bother, cause a lot of trouble as they get older and are expensive to sort out.

Have a look at the cost of bits before you go ahead.

hi it really depends on why you want the ABS, i done this on my golf a few years back and it was easy. but i dont know on the discovery if the ABS wiring loom is interegated into the main wiring of the car. if it is you will have a long while striping it out! and i can tell you that from experiance :S

i suggest you check to see if the axels on your defender are fitted with mounting for the ABS otherwise you have to swap axels (thats just an annoying job)

things you will need to do

you will need to remove the pump and valve unit from the engine bay pay CLOSE ATTENTION to which pipes go where ie front left brake , front right brake, mastercylinder IN front/back (you will have to make sure the mastercylinder pipes go to the right place on the mastercylinder)

if my memory serves me right the ABS ecu was placed behind the glove box remove it (thats the easy bit :) )

if your lucky then the wiring wont be joint to the main loom (my mate has abs on his 97 disco i will take a look if i can get a chance) , in which case all you have to do is follow it along the car and unclip it and unscrew it from the fusebox THERE WOULD BE NO NEED TO CUT ANY WIRES

ABS wiring up very easy you will have 2 (possible 3) perment LIVE wires the main to normaly being 40amps each to run the pumps and keep ecu memory, 1 IGN signal wire, and 2 GND wires (and if you feel the need install the warning light wire)

Good Luck :P