Starting technique when very-cold

Debs.

As (seemingly) per general acceptance; when starting a diesel engine from fully-cold, I`ve always left the glowplugs to cycle and then, without touching the throttle, cranked for between 8-15 seconds (time varies depending on temp.) and she`ll fire*.

Today, during a moment of shivery absent-mindedness in the -17 C. temps. we`re enduring here in the mountains, I dabbed the throttle pedal (as I used to have to do all the time when cold-cranking my old Series III) and I was surprised how much more quickly the engine fired, actually only needing 1 or 2 seconds on the starter.

So, is this a sign of something a`miss, or does everybody dab the throttle of their 300 tdi when cold-cranking?

*On 100% DERV with two batteries and four known-good glowplugs.

It was only -7.2 here this morning when I started the car.

I start as per your method (I also holding the clutch peddal down). Never tried dabbing the throttle. May give it a try tomorrow.

I almost thought I was going to have to give the glow plugs a second blast this morning, as it turned at first very slow, but burst into life within 5 seconds i reckon.

Working glow plugs are a must!

As for something a miss, i've no idea sorry.... :)

Yup, dabbing the throttle is sometimes good to make it catch, but don't let it rev! It has the effect of injecting a little more fuel so easier starting.

By comparison, the engines I work on (13,000 hp) are started at full fuelling (i.e. foot slammed through the floor). Mind you, they are already at 80 degrees and have a pre-lub pump to get the oil around everywhere before turning the key.

glow plugs - 300tdi - problems starting it in the cold.... :ph34r:

i dont think i have ever turned the ignition on and waited for the glow plug light to go out on my 300tdi before starting it. ALWAYS fires within 2-3 seconds. Only time it didnt start on the button like that was when i had a ropey battery about 3 years ago and the cold killed it.

Turn ignition on, foot to floor, crank. As soon as it catches take foot off pedal. Literally never more than 3 seconds cranking before it catches and straight into a lovely smooth idle. Thats with 158k miles on the clock as well.