Tachograph

I shall be picking up vehicles for servicing etc for my business. question is. Do i need a Tacho fitting ?

Doesn't seem worthwhile putting it in a D-reg 110 Defender. not to mention definitely not cost effective.

If i don't charge the customer for collection Will i be exempt ?

The majority of my Towing will be for my personal use. ie taking the 90 to challenge events and play days.

You may be exempt if it's only being used within a 50km radius of your garage, or you could stick a picture of the pope in it and call it a place of worship :lol:

Drivers are also exempt from hours and tachograph rules when engaged in certain types of transport operations in the UK. They include:

* Vehicles used by agricultural, horticultural, forestry or fishery undertakings for carrying goods within a 50km radius of the vehicle’s normal base.

* Vehicles used for carrying animal waste or carcasses not intended for human consumption.

* Vehicles used for carrying live animals between farms and local markets or between markets and local slaughterhouses within a maximum radius of 50km of the vehicle’s normal base.

* Vehicles specially fitted out as mobile shops, banks, libraries or places of worship.

* Vehicles with a GVW of below 7.5 tonnes carrying material or equipment for the driver’s use in the course of his work within a 50km radius of the vehicle’s normal base, where driving is not the driver’s main work activity.

* Vehicles used exclusively inside hub facilities like ports and railway terminals (from 11 April 2007 only).

Taken from

http://www.roadtransport.com/RoadLegal/11941/defences-and-exemptions.html

might look into re classifying it with tax office as mobile workshop

That won't affect the tachograph requirements, your only hope is the 50km radius exemption,if you collect further than that you'll need a tachograph.

VOSA are cracking down on anyone towing, I regularly see police cars stopping builders vans who are towing on the M6

I use a tachograph in my business, a couple of years ago a guy asked me about it, he had a sprinter towing a 2600kg trailer, he said he didn't need one, I said he did.

a couple of months later I saw him again and he'd been prosecuted, vosa had stopped him, he didn't have a tacho so they wouldn't let him take the trailer from the weighbridge, he rang the boss who turned up in a range rover and they wouldn't let him tow it either because he didn't have a tacho in.

The law applies to cars towing for reward as well, they fined the business that allowed the driver to tow illegally £1500

lucky none of my customers live that far from where im based,

Im guessing thats how i will get around it.

Id better re-register my truck to me , instead of company name. its put down on my traders policy as my own private vehicle.

i also think id better speak to vosa. to clarify weather or not all the info is correct as such that way i can get a copy of all the legalities and stay in the guided lines :)

i think a tacho being fitted in my 110 d -reg wont be cost effective.

These are the full regulations

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/Rules%20on%20Drivers%20Hours%20and%20Tachographs%20-%20Goods%20vehcles%20in%20the%20UK%20and%20Europe.pdf

This is the paragraph you need clarification on.

Vehicles with a maximum permissible weight of not more than 7.5 tonnes carrying material or equipment for the driver's use in the course of his work within a 50km radius of the vehicle's usual base, where driving the vehicle is not the driver's main activity.

What you need to ask is if this exemption allows you to transport customers vehicles by trailer to your garage within a 50km radius of your garage without using a tachograph, if they say yes ask for it in writing

Right iv found a firm who will check my work fitting a tacho to my 110. and check and sign it of as being Ok.

Next question How do i go about picking up vehicle speed for the tacho to work,

fitting to a 110 200 tdi. defender.

Im looking into the din sized type analogue tachograph

I would guess a junction gearbox or a electrical pickup from the existing sPeedo cable/transducer [if the Td5 speedo is fitted] or the Tachgraph might have a optical drive from a propshaft.