Odd Td5 Issue

Phil

I have had this happen on my 2004 td5 Defender three or four times, same scenario, floored the accelerator on the motorway the temperature gauge shoots up instantly, (a lot quicker than something the size of an engine can gain heat) and as it's doing this the engine loses power, then as quickly as it started the gauge goes back to normal and power is restored, no engine management light comes.

Since I cleaned the injector harness, this hasn't happened again, it was just the temperature gauge thing that was unusual so I am pretty certain that this has to be a short circuit somewhere.

Any thoughts?

I have had this happen on my 2004 td5 Defender three or four times, same scenario, floored the accelerator on the motorway the temperature gauge shoots up instantly, (a lot quicker than something the size of an engine can gain heat) and as it's doing this the engine loses power, then as quickly as it started the gauge goes back to normal and power is restored, no engine management light comes.

Since I cleaned the injector harness, this hasn't happened again, it was just the temperature gauge thing that was unusual so I am pretty certain that this has to be a short circuit somewhere.

Any thoughts?

The symptoms you describe are the same, and my intuition says the cause is electrical. I have checked the injector harness on my car and there is no sign whatever of oil contamination. I'll disconnect it at the ECU again and give it a good spray with contact cleaner just in case.

It's the relationship to temperature that I find most odd!

Phil.

My TD5 MY99 used to do this from time to time. After almost one year, I discovered by accident that was a little cable going in short circuit in the harness of alternator. Don't know why, but it sends a wrong signal to the ECU...... if you need photos please let me know.....

My TD5 MY99 used to do this from time to time. After almost one year, I discovered by accident that was a little cable going in short circuit in the harness of alternator. Don't know why, but it sends a wrong signal to the ECU...... if you need photos please let me know.....

Carlos, thank you, photos would be helpful as I'm not sure which cable you refer to.

Phil.