Can I trickle charge two batteries via an x-charge

Fatboy

Hi all,

I've spent a fair bit of time in the past few months working on the house so the project Series II has been sitting neglected in the garden... until a couple of days ago when (unsurprisingly) I found the batteries were flat..

I've got two Numax batteries, one primary, the other for auxiliaries. They've both got isolators and there is a 3rd isolator which allows the aux battery to "jump" the primary.

The primary has an Anderson connector to the radiator panel for convinient jump starting and I've made up a little crossover to allow me to connect the charger to this point too.

The question is: Will the x-charge switch once the primary battery is full to charge the auxiliary?

I've got a feeling that the trickle charger will only supply 12v which might not be enough to trigger the x-charge relay... but I'd like a grown up to give a proper answer.

Thanks!

The x-charge will only switch if the alternator is putting out 12V.

It is just a relay - switching based on the output of the alternator. it is not voltage sensitive (at least not the the battery voltage)

If your anderson connetor is connected to the aux battery, and your 'jump' isolator is not switched, then plugging the charger into it will only charge the aux battery.

Switching your 'jump' isolator effectively connects the two batteries in parallel regardless of the x-charge, therefore plugging your charger in and switching your 'jump' isolator will allow it to charge both batteries - assuming your charger has the capacity...

The batteries will balance each other out whilst connected in this way - so will effectively charge at the same rate.

hope that helps...

Mark

Sorry, but when you say 'crossover' what do you mean exactly?

The primary has an Anderson connector to the radiator panel for convinient jump starting and I've made up a little crossover to allow me to connect the charger to this point too.

I had a spare Anderson plug so I crimped a couple of large cables in and crimped eyes onto the other ends.

The negative one has a bolt through it that the battery charger crocodile clip can get a get a good hold of.

The positive one has an insulated box on it and the positive lead from the charger is connected inside it.

So, the crossover is only from large cables to the battery charger leads, not from + to - I can post a photo later if that helps?

durite do proper solid state split and multiple charge systems and a intelligent split charger that auto senses voltage instead of braking into the loom for a trigger and therefore the secondary batteries are only charged when the alternator is a full power instead of latching as soon as the charge light is out.