200Tdi engine change nightmare!

leon_81

Before Xmas we had a go at changing the Head Gasket on my friends 200Tdi, while doing this we found cylinder 4 was KO’d. We sourced a replacement engine for a bargain £140 out of a fire damaged disco. All we needed to do was swap all the ancillaries of the dead engine onto the replacement and all would be well... Famous last words!!

We spent all day Saturday trying to swap everything over and had a ton of issues

The main one being we wanted to change the timing belt before putting the new engine in, and we wanted to fit the new water pump from the dead one too. Cue 3 of the long water pump bolts shearing off on the replacement engine!

So, we thought never mind, we’ll take the timing chest off the dead one as there are no broken bolts – that's not happening either! We can’t get either the cam or crank sprockets off – I’ve checked on here and it seems they should just come off with some gentle persuasion?

So can anyone shed any light on how to get the sprockets off? Or is there a way to get the broken bolts out of the front of the new engine to save all the hassle?

Thanks in advance!

Before Xmas we had a go at changing the Head Gasket on my friends 200Tdi, while doing this we found cylinder 4 was KO’d. We sourced a replacement engine for a bargain £140 out of a fire damaged disco. All we needed to do was swap all the ancillaries of the dead engine onto the replacement and all would be well... Famous last words!!

We spent all day Saturday trying to swap everything over and had a ton of issues

The main one being we wanted to change the timing belt before putting the new engine in, and we wanted to fit the new water pump from the dead one too. Cue 3 of the long water pump bolts shearing off on the replacement engine!

So, we thought never mind, we’ll take the timing chest off the dead one as there are no broken bolts – that's not happening either! We can’t get either the cam or crank sprockets off – I’ve checked on here and it seems they should just come off with some gentle persuasion?

So can anyone shed any light on how to get the sprockets off? Or is there a way to get the broken bolts out of the front of the new engine to save all the hassle?

Thanks in advance!

You can make a puller for the crank sprocket, the holes in it from memory are m8's...

the cam is some times a bit of a bugger, a bearing puller would prob work best if have one, I have been able to get them off using screw drivers/drifts until i can get a 2/3 legged puller on it.

hope this helps