300 TDI engine failure

Trevorevans

Well guys looks like the 300 tdi in my Disco has run down the curtain and joined the choir invisible, it has ceased to be. Bit of background - when we had the heavy snow recently it decided that very same afternoon would be a good time to have a long rest, it was/ is running but it seems only on 3 cylinders and is not happy, drives but very smokey and seems to run smoother when the turbo comes in, no signs of head gasket failing. Had the injectors tested as it runs on home brew bio now and again and thought that maybe with the cold weather a bit had congealed however the test showed that 2 were basically squirting fuel and the other 2 were a bit ropey so had all four reconditioned, put them back in and it runs exactly the same. Fuel is getting to the injectors as they squirt fuel when you crack the nut off so it appears the fuel/lift pump is working correctly so I'm thinking the only other thing that can be wrong is that the engine it's self has a cylinder down and is therefore knackerd, unless you guys can come up with any other possibilities?.

Failing that and working on the scenario that I'm gonna have to chuck the engine away and replace it what should I replace it with? V8 is out, can't afford the petrol and it does get used off road and they don't like water. So do I replace the 300 tdi with another or can I put a 200 tdi in it's place, which is the more reliable engine? Can I even put a 200 in without major work, changing the gearbox etc. Please help it's been out of action for too long now and I'm missing the mud.

Do a compression test. You will need a diesel tester and an adaptor to fit in the glow plug hole. Why not the injector? Mainly because you should change the copper seals every time they come out. Maybe you should whip the head off anyway; bore wear will be visible and you could have something cheap wrong like a leaking valve.

Need your opinions on what I've been told by the mender.

We started with the issue of knackerd injectors causing the poor running so they were tested and proved defective so re-cond but as mentioned did not cure the fault. Posted here and advised to do compression test and that it could be a leaky exhaust valve, spoke with mechanic who said he was going to do a compression test but discounted the exhaust valve leaking idea saying " doubt it, they never go wrong". Latest theory is that while the injectors were not functioning correctly 'raw fuel' was being forced into the head causing it to crack. Is this idea a valid one? Or am I being put off by someone who doesn't really want to get involved in what could turn out to be major work?. I don't know if the compression test has been carried out but do know that the head has not been removed so he is using 'the force' in order to identify the problem or just plain guessing.

Sounds like he doesnt know what he is doing!

I have had an exhaust valve burnt out before, and and inlet valve

Without doing a compression test he is guessing

Diesel would not crack the head

An easy way to see if it is one particular cylinder that is causing the problem is to run the engine, then crack open the nut on each injector one by one, you will hear the engine labour each time, and if cracking a nut on one does not make any difference to the running, that is the cylinder with the problem.

I would still have the head off after doing the tests, before condeming the engine and considering replacement.

Where are you in the country, someone may be close to you to have a look , or recomend someone near who knows more than the guy you are using?

Thanks for the advice, just had words with a heavy plant mechanic and asked if the injectors flooding the head could have caused it to crack, he said the same, with out doubt not a chance. I'll be getting the vehicle back soon (probably the weekend) so if anybody is close or can suggest a landrover knowlagabe garage/mechanic in the Rhondda area please advise.