Heater Matrix Pipes

sutty_32

Afternoon folks, after crappy heating over winter i got myself a new matrix of this forum and thought I'd crack on this afternoon.

After an hour and half it was out, very happy, pipes full of carp and joints leaking (explaining the moist carpet I've had for a while) and although there are some random bits of footwell to be taken out I didn't have to take out the dash. I've taken plenty of photo's and will do a bit of a write up when I get chance.

So the matrix I got came with new pipes, however, trying to undo the bracket that holds these in makes me think I need to take the whole air/blower unit (and hence dash) to get to 2 stupid pesky little so and so's of bolts. There is a large bolt in the middle which is fine, so why did they see the need to also use the small ones!! I have attached a photo of the offending bracket, sorry for the poor photo, my socket is on the large nut, and you can see one of the little blighters underneath, and wise ideas? Space is very limited under there to get drills/grinders in.

At the moment I think I am just going to get pipe cleaners and try to clean the carp out the pipes, then re-fit.

post-21198-0-81789000-1295971067_thumb.jpg

Sorry, your picture is unclear. What model Disco?

I changed ny heater matrix about 3 months ago (the hard way!) by removing all the dash, then removing the complete heater box.

If I remember correctly, the centre bolt holds the matix in place, then there is one circular clip per pipe and they attach the pipes from the heater hoses to the matrix, it actually clamps the two pipes together.

My new heater matrix came with the pipes (but from an aircon version) so they were different. I was pleased to have the matrix on the bench to do the swap of the pipes. I wouldn't have fancied doing it in situ.

Cheers

Peter

Its a 300tdi non-aircon disco.

I have the heater matrix out and the pipes are disconnected, this is the clamp that is close to the bulk head, not the one at the heater matrix end. It looks like it connects to the heater box, its just I got this far and I don't want to take the heater box out to do 2 small crappy nuts, lol.

Thanks for your reply

you can remove the pipe without removing the heater unit (i know, i've done it :) ) you need a 3/8 drive socket, and some extension bars to get at it, but once that bolt on the bulkhead is undone, then the pipes come off (remember to disconnect the rubber hoses under the bonnet.

it's an easy job with the dash out, not sure with the dash in.

you can remove the pipe without removing the heater unit (i know, i've done it :) ) you need a 3/8 drive socket, and some extension bars to get at it, but once that bolt on the bulkhead is undone, then the pipes come off (remember to disconnect the rubber hoses under the bonnet.

Yeah the pipes are off under the bonnet, and I've got the 13mm bolt undone and out, but above and below there are some threads sticking through the mount, I've attached some better photo's from my camera rather than my phone. The actual bracket is threaded looking at the new one, and you can see the gold threads. How did you get these ones off?

post-21198-0-95787300-1295983526_thumb.jpg

post-21198-0-42564200-1295983887_thumb.jpg