Speed transducer YBE100540 or AMR1253

RearEngined

OK my first question i hope someone can help me. The speedo in my "WillysRR" is not accurate. A search has mentioned that substituting the speed transducer YBE100540 or AMR1253 into the LT230 TransferCase for the flexidrive cable will produce a pulse signal.

Does anyone have any info on what that signal is please ie what amplitude and what connection polarity needs to made. The speedo i will be using is made by VeeThree.

The other query is, should the spigot centre piece of the transducer that contains the square shaft tip be uncaptive? The unit pictured is an early AMR1253 which is i fear quite worn, supplied by a wrecker (breaker) here in NZ.

IMG_1831xx.jpg

Hi,

Please let us know how this goes. I am considering this as a way to solve my speedo woes in my Series 1.

1st I need to see if the transducer will fit a Series transfer box? I am hoping that LR did not change them too much ouver the years.

2nd I need to get a speedo that will work with it. I have heard on hesr somewhere that the LR transducer (or one of them) is a VDO compatable unit?

Good luck,

Marc.

Excellent information, thank you gents.... my last quandary is polarity on the transducer. Unfortunately the wrecker failed to supply me the plug and a piece of loom (i foolishly forgot to ask for it) so that i can connect up to the transducer (even for bench testing) to prove if this unit is reliable. I will hunt one down soon however for now can i please ask which pin of the two receives the +12v directly, (the rough pulses obviously coming from the other). I have included a closeup photo and made it 400x600 but it seems to have been auto-enlarged here so i apologise...

The updated speedo is part project sorting my offroader to have a much more accurate readings on everything. At present it's at least 20kph out using the iPhone App GPS Speed as a rough comparison, the fuel guage read E when full etc.

The guage i will use is a part of set from VeeThree. Very cheap (7 gauges plus sensors = NZD$400) and hugely 'programmable' but i may need to add a small circuit to clean up the transducer pulses hence wanting to do a few bench tests. I've read and seen other websites showing folks who've already done such a mod using the RR VDO electronic gauge because they were fitting it into a RR. My machine's interior has nothing that is RR. The entire cluster set will mount on a single aluminium panel which i am having laser cut.

IMG_1834x.jpg