heater matrix help

remove heater unit from vehicle

de-rivet the top panel & bend clear, extract matrix, refit in reverse order but pack the sides/top/bottom of matrix with water resistant foam [closed cell type] to stop any air flow going around the matrix instead of through it 7 to prevent the matrix rattling in the heater box.

Does anyone have a guide for removing the heater matrix so i can check it and give it a flush?

and do i need any seals/parts to put it back in?

Not to bad a job, not sure what truck you have. But try and create as much space as possible to get the whole unit out. Its only secured with a few bolts, to pipes to undo and the two control cables.

This is on an early 200tdi

once you have pulled it out, your probably find the seal to the bulkhead has desintigrated, these aren't to costly from land rover.

post-3730-0-99347900-1296505511_thumb.jpg

While you have the heater box out check inside the bulkhead for any rubbish that has got in there

post-3730-0-13537500-1296505518_thumb.jpg

Drill out all the pop rivets on the top of the heater unit, think there might be one or two on the sides

post-3730-0-17381900-1296505523_thumb.jpg

With a bit of pulling it should come apart

post-3730-0-90827900-1296505528_thumb.jpg

And you should see this

post-3730-0-98563000-1296505533_thumb.jpg

The matrix just slides out the top, your obviously need to replace the foam if it looks like mine

post-3730-0-18758000-1296505539_thumb.jpg

Wash inside and out with hot water and a hoses. Refit and seal properly and the do the reverse of removal to get it all back together

post-3730-0-42962300-1296505545_thumb.jpg

Worth reading this tech thread on setting the cables: http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=33481&st=0&gopid=323899entry323899

Good luck :)

Thats fantastic, thanks gents, do you have the part number for the bulkhead seal and any other bits that'll more than likely need replacing?

It's sods law/landrover law that if i don't get them i'll need them! and not only is my nearest dealer miles away, but they never seem to have any Defender bits in! :huh:

Oh, and it's a 300tdi Defender 110, so i can't see there being too much of a difference....

Thats fantastic, thanks gents, do you have the part number for the bulkhead seal and any other bits that'll more than likely need replacing?

It's sods law/landrover law that if i don't get them i'll need them! and not only is my nearest dealer miles away, but they never seem to have any Defender bits in! :huh:

Oh, and it's a 300tdi Defender 110, so i can't see there being too much of a difference....

heater to dash seal is STC952 click here to see it.

Ive just done mine, so heres some pointers for you;

Don't bother flushing the old matrix, get a new one. I flushed my old one, ran clear as a whistle so I re fitted it=rubbish.

Whilst your heater box is off, clean and repaint the heater box and the bulkhead and inner wing.

For your seals you can use a camping mat.

Make sure you have some evo stick.

• 2 years later...