What other damage ???

Mouseytata

Hi there

A few days ago my Discovery 200tdi started to make a slight tapping sound from the engine and after turning it off it would not start again.

After investigatng i found out that the plastic ridged surround on the cam belt tentioner had disintergrated causing the belt to slip and rip some of the teath off the belt and also bend all of the push rods.

The belt, tentioner, and idler have all been replaced and i am now waiting for the new pushrods to arrive but i am concerned that there might have been some damage to the top's of the pistons, is this possable and can i check this without removing the head ???.

When i turn the engine over by hand there is quite a bit of compression there but i do not have a propper compression tester to find out exactly how much.

What i am most worried about is that a valve has hit the top of a piston and caused a weak spot that will fail later on.

Thanks in advance.

Mouse.

Very unlikely. The pushrods bend and the rockers occasionally snap, other than that any other damage is virtually unheard of and I've seen dozens of Tdis with broken belts though mostly 300s. Don't worry about it - if there is another problem it will be immediately obvious on restart but it is very very unlikely. The valves will definitely have hit the pistons this is what bent the rods but the weak point is the rods and rockers and they always go first. Only other think to check is the rotator caps if the 200 has these, not sure, 300s have them and sometimes they crack and the bits fall down into the sump. Doesn't cause any damage but you suddenly get a valve clearance of about 100 thou which is a bit rattly :lol: