Galvanised Rear Crossmember

Hyall

Have a new rear crossmember with extensions for my 110 and was thinking.....would it be a good idea to get it galvanised then remove the coating from the extension ends using an angle grinder with twisted wire brush so they can be welded to the rest of the chassis?

Anyone done this and how easy was it to remove the galvanising?

Log

Blimey that was a quick reply!

Thanks Les!

I cant afford to get a galvanised chassis so thought this would be a good option considering the rear crossmember is usually the first to suffer from the brown blight.

I assume that due to the construction of the crossmember, it would be unlikely to warp during the galvanising process?

also, and this may sound like a stupid question but, when using the wire brush to remove the coating, how do I know when I have removed the coating and am down to the bare steel?

Is this easy to tell or am I going to have to judge when I have gone through one shiny metal (zinc) to another shiny metal (steel)?

Log

The zinc will be a different colour to the steel. It is a lighter grey, and the steel is a dark silver colour. You shouln't need too much wire brushing to get through the galve, and it won't hurt the steel too much if you over do it, but stop regularly to check.

Don't forget to do both sides of where you are going to weld.

Cheers

Mark

Thanks Mark

Its a job I only want to have to do once and would rather fit it and forget it! I cant understand why the chassis is not galvanised at the factory. After all it would only increase the cost of a new vehicle by about £100 or so. Or are there alterier motives I wonder. If they would galvanise the chassis, dooor frames, etc, as standard then the damn thing would last forever! Certainly Audi dont seem to have a problem with this!

Cheers

Log

I would guess there are other issues from a production point tof view that you or I take for granted - Dimensional changes, fettling of holes and threads, and the time and labour required to do that probably adds up to quite a bit more than £100 per vehicle.

Plus, as you say, if they lasted forever, why buy a new one....