fuel issue

denviks

hi all. im hoping someone can offer a little advice. i have done a search and come up with tonnes of info which points me in all sorts of directions so need to confirm its what i think it is really.

ok here is the issue.....its a 300 tdi

if i leave the disco overnight it will fire straigh up in the morning using the glowplugs.,.. it will run for 30 secs or so and then cut out. its then a case of keep turning the engine over with teh starter until it fires up again ....which can take a while. im assuimng the diesel is flowing back to the tank when left over night.

after its running fine it will start all day with no issues.... there is no lack in power and no smoke.

where are the places i should check on the fuel system ( idiots guide needed ;) ) as its doing my head in now ...

thanks in advance

Sounds like air getting into the fuel system... runs for a mo, i.e. the injection pump has fuel in it, but the lift pump is sucking air.

cool....so i am thinking along the right lines.... is there places on the fuel system i should look.... comen disco leaking points...

Check the fuel pipes where they come out of the top of the fuel tank via the htch in the rear floor. There are two steel 'elbows', for want of a better description, that corrode leaving pinholes that let air in. They can be quite difficult to see, but you can test it by cleaning up the pipes and covering with duct tape, or similar.

Hope this helps.

Check the fuel pipes where they come out of the top of the fuel tank via the htch in the rear floor. There are two steel 'elbows', for want of a better description, that corrode leaving pinholes that let air in. They can be quite difficult to see, but you can test it by cleaning up the pipes and covering with duct tape, or similar.

Hope this helps.

thanks Darren....i will investigate that tomorrow. its a pain in the butt having the issue in the mornings....

well the plot thickens. i went out this morning and it started and ran fine. the only thing different was the drivers side was parked up on the curb. so the fuel pipes were slightly higher than normal.

i have checked all unions today and all seem ok. so gonna look at sedimenter next!

thanks for the advice so far......all helping

• 1 year later...