My Undergraduate Dissertation 2011/12 - Wayfarer North Wales

axlechorus

Dear All

It is coming to the time in my Undergraduate studies where I have to start planning for a dissertation for my Degree in Geography with Environmental Management Bsc at Exeter.

I have decided to do something on laning both its impacts and also peoples perceptions towards its sustainability. I have chosen to centre my quantitative research on the Wayfarer in North Wales around the Sleeper section and other management that the lane has had. Such that I will have 2 major threads to my piece.

- Is the current sleeper method of mitigation towards the section that gets washed out effective.

- A wider survey looking at user groups opinions towards this mitigation method and if its felt to be suitable/effective.

This piece is not going to look at whether there is s "right" or not for recreational 4x4 use in the countryside as that’s a legal matter and also a very large can of worms. This is a scientific research piece.

At this current stage I am preparing my proposal so any input on documents/council plans that are there would be greatly appreciated so I can build a history of the maintenance on the lane as well as other wider examples of works/papers to add into the dissertation. Also if anyone has any images of the lane dated from over the last 5 years that they would be willing to let me see/use within the dissertation that would be greatly appreciated. The images would be all put under your copyright and number plates etc removed.

I am planning a trip in late march to look at the site to ensure that my methodologies are appropriate before I get to far into the process. I am aware there is a TRO currently on the lane for works, does anyone know when this is likely to be lifted?

I am also going to be making contact with the local CC but if I remember correctly several members on here are also involved with groups such as GLASS (where this will also be posted under my user on there), CRAG and Tread lightly so I would be interested in hearing from all those parties for input into this as user groups.

Thank you for reading and if anyone has any questions/comments/advice from their undergraduate days please get in touch.

All the best

Ryck

Try sending Paul Humphries a PM as he's involved with crag and is clued up as to what's going on with the wayfarer

Cheers

Gary

Gary

Many thanks I have dropped Paul a PM and he has kindly agreed to give me some time on the phone during the week to talk about the route.

Does anyone have any images of the route at various times that I could use for background research?

Cheers

Ryck