Janspeed Range Rover

Grant.

Hi all,

A friend of mine has a jan speed range rover classic that he drowned in water the other weekend while off roading.

He had all the dizzy apart and cleaned it and it was running fine.

It then died again ( 2 hours later) And he managed to just get it home on 3 cylinders :blink:

Hes got to the point of swapping the dizzy out, its had new cap, leads, arm etc etc, however it just back fires and splutters (he said it fire balled out of the plenum this morning!!)

The other odd thing, is that the vacuum pipe for the brake servo was full of petrol...

Now, im not a petrolly person, however im 99.9% certain that that petrol shouldnt be there! :lol:

Anybody able to help me out, as ive got to now go and pick up the pieces :)

Thanks in advance! :)

Grant

A leaking fuel pressure regulator can fill a plenum with fuel... it enters via the small tube on the back of the plenum.

I suspect your mate has knocked the bob weights off in the dizzy, a simple enough fix, just dismantle and remantle, takes around an hour including re-timing the engine up.

the bob weights? Where/what are those?

He didnt suck any water in, he says, so its just the electrics, however am going to see the car later, so we will see.

A friend of his also told him he could have bore washed it, however, I cant see how he would have done.

The bob weights are under the plate in the dizzy, they provide mechanical advance based on engine speed, when removing the rotor arm it is VERY easy and common to knock them off and then you have a dizzy producing all sorts of advance when it shouldn't be....

A fuel pressure regulator doesn't need to have been drowned to start leaking, you gave a symptom, the plenum full of fuel, the most likely cause of this is a leaking FPR. To test, pull the tube off the back of the plenum and turn the ignition on, if it is wet with fuel/pissing out then this is your problem.