Recovery fitting for HGV air brakes?

BogMonster

Help! Hopefully somebody on here knows the answer to this.... :rolleyes:

On commercial HGVs fitted with air brakes, there is a standard fitting, usually on the back of the air receiver on almost every truck which you can screw an airline onto, to charge up the truck's air pressure from another vehicle / compressor etc for recovery etc if the engine or air system in the dead vehicle is not working.

It's a 3/8" BSP female fitting designed to be screwed on by hand (bit like a big wing nut) and has a rubber washer inside, and it pushes in a valve inside the fitting on the truck to open the air line but I have been unable to find such a thing on Google using any search terms I can come up with - just get normal 3/8 airline fittings.

I have no idea what it is called - does anybody know? Need to order some to make up a recovery hose for work.

Ta :)

Thanks, also been digging myself and an M16 x 1.5 Test Point Adaptor is the little horror I am looking for :i-m_so_happy:

3/8" BSP and M16x1.5 is near as dammit the same but not quite identical (a BSP airline fitting will screw onto the metric thread but is slightly loose).

Help! Hopefully somebody on here knows the answer to this.... :rolleyes:

On commercial HGVs fitted with air brakes, there is a standard fitting, usually on the back of the air receiver on almost every truck which you can screw an airline onto, to charge up the truck's air pressure from another vehicle / compressor etc for recovery etc if the engine or air system in the dead vehicle is not working.

It's a 3/8" BSP female fitting designed to be screwed on by hand (bit like a big wing nut) and has a rubber washer inside, and it pushes in a valve inside the fitting on the truck to open the air line but I have been unable to find such a thing on Google using any search terms I can come up with - just get normal 3/8 airline fittings.

I have no idea what it is called - does anybody know? Need to order some to make up a recovery hose for work.

Our Volvo Coach has a standard tyre valve easily accessible under the bonnet as the emergency air up system (for brakes and suspension), but I think Volvo were different to most other HGV manufacturers in including the pipe and valve as standard.

Interesting ... our ones have the M16 fine fitting as described above - it was recovering a Volvo coach with a big hole in the bottom of the engine when I first became acquainted with this very useful length of hose :)

Interesting ... our ones have the M16 fine fitting as described above - it was recovering a Volvo coach with a big hole in the bottom of the engine when I first became acquainted with this very useful length of hose :)

May be it was the coach builder that added it.

We use these fittings on our airlines on the wreckers, and also on pressure test gagues on the service vans. In the link above, they're on page 42 of the TTC catalogue, section 2.

We find a lot of new busses have schraeder valves (likes of tyre valves) as a main test point built in by the coachworks, underneath you will still find standard test points.

Busses are right bassarts to recover, as usually the test points are hidden. Found one main test point in an overhead locker on the nearside a while ago.

Only found it as a last resort as I'd looked everywhere else I could think of. Not what we want to be doing on the hard shoulder!