Much trouble to swap on transfercase adaptor?

RearEngined

Have located a tidy 4 HP-22 which comes with a traceable history to prove it was working ok in that i once drove the car, sold it and the new owner stupidly crashed it a few weeks later. The price is very reasonable (the owner just wants shot of it). I'm thinking it'll serve as a spare to hand for my offroader. Problem is it's ex a BMW car so how compatible is it and is swapping over adaptors etc to allow mounting of the transfer case a simple process? I am assuming here the torque converter performance will be different and will the gear ratios be totally wrong for a 4WD Rangerover setup?

trans1.jpg

Thanks... Pete

The output shaft appears specific to the BMW, and different to the one for a RR - see the JPAT 4HP22 page (item 165).

I believe the gear ratios are common across the 4HP22 range. Bellhousing and torque converter will have to be changed to suit the engine. Govenor on the tail end of the box will have to change to suit the engine, as will the housing to mate to the transfer box.

It would make a source of parts if you fancied rebuilding a ZF auto, but a fair bit of effort.