300TDI reversing Lights

Peterla

Can anyone help me with where the reverse lamps switch is on my 300tdi.

I must need to be adjusted.I need to keep pressure on the gear lever to keep the revesing lights on.

Any information would be appreciated

Peter

I changed mine 2 days ago, they can't be adjusted. you need a 22mm spanner and a bit of patience. Put your car on ramps if you have them and you need to reach in to the gearbox tunnel just above the cross member. disconnect the wires and use the ring end of the spanner to loosen the switch. Your alternative is to remove the center console and the cover over the gearbox and reaching in through there. the switch cost me about 50 Rand so around £5 and ten minutes to do.

Hi There, I changed mine, the new one seemed to work well for a few days and now it's as bad as the old one, even worse I fear. Needs doing again, but there is no real adjustment on it. I think what stops it working is oil getting into it, I wish I had just cleaned the old one!

I had the same problem. I assumed it was the switch, so bought a new one. The new one was no better than the old. I then recalled something I read, ages ago, suggesting that it was the surface inside the gearbox, that presses on the switch, that wears, and the fix is to either machine a mil of the face of the body of the switch, or just loose the copper washer. I went for loosing the washer, and some blue sealant, on the threads. Immediately, perfect reversing lights again. No ill effects, so far.

I had the same problem. I assumed it was the switch, so bought a new one. The new one was no better than the old. I then recalled something I read, ages ago, suggesting that it was the surface inside the gearbox, that presses on the switch, that wears, and the fix is to either machine a mil of the face of the body of the switch, or just loose the copper washer. I went for loosing the washer, and some blue sealant, on the threads. Immediately, perfect reversing lights again. No ill effects, so far.