Wastegate actuator

Cal

Hello all,

Can someone please explain to me exactly where the wastegate actuator rod is, and how to get to it? (or even better show me a picture or diagram).

I think I know where it is: between the engine block and the turbo itself – the rod that is just out of reach of my only pair of pliers…

Just wanted to check it is actually what/where I think it is so I can check it's not seized up.

Thanks.

:)

A boost gauge will tell you if it's working properly. For a temporary set-up connect it to the pressure-sensing ipe on the fuel pump via a T peice and run the pipe in through the door rubber. You should see the pressure rise as the engine speeds up and you feel the engine start to pull, the pressure should level out at about 1 bar (perhaps it will go high then settle back down) and you should be able to cruise on the motorway with about 1/2 bar boost.

Thanks for the extra info RRB. The wastegate was free so not sure what the issue is. TUrned the fuel pump up a touch and it's much better but didn't want to just ignore it and potentially mask an issue by just turning the fuel up.

Possibly the intercooler full of muck from the engine oil breather, or a hose that is collapsing inside, or more muck in the plenum, or you have just got used to it and now it seems pedestrian ;)

If you want to tweak the turbo pressure try a boost regulator (not the bleed off type) rather than fiddling with the watse gate.

do buy one of these.

Don't buy one like this, it's a bleen valve and though complicated not very reliable. this way you don't have to touch the turbo (that's handy) and therefore can easily put it back how it was. You can tweak it a little at a time too but best of all it will increase pick-up without increasing peak pressure becuase it eliminates waste gate creep (the waste gate opens slowly as you approach the boost pressure normaly). This makes the car seem nippier "off the blocks".

Also, when tweaking the pump, if you are increasing the boost then you don't need to fiddle with the star wheel, the extra pressure will incresse fueling anyway, what you should check is the thickness of the nylon washer if it's still there. Check if the pin runs all the way to the end of the cone under the diaphram, if not you can thin the nylon washer which will increase fueling at peak pressure only (unless you rotate the diaphram).

Sorry if that doesn't make sense, I have a toddle sat on the keyboard.

Cheers for all the info RRB. That's great. I've cleaned the intercooler and fit new hoses already which didn't seem to make any difference. EGR is blanket off already so will keep working thru the list! Part of me was wondering if it's just me having got used to newer and faster cars since I had my last discovery but still think it's not pulling quite right.