Freelander wheels aren't all the same fitting.

RocketBoy

I have a 2004 Freelader Van – its absolutely great for what I need :) . The steel wheels were getting a bit rusty – so I ordered up a set of second hand original wheels from ebay. See:

These

When I went to fit them I found they didn't sit correctly on the rear break drums – the drums were making contact with the wheels before the load bearing faces were seated. This is because the centre of the break drum dishes inwards way more than the wheels allow for. I estimate that there is about a 4mm gap from the mating faces of the wheel and the drum.

A quick google revealed that this was a known problem and that there were a few different versions of Freelander wheels. It seems the older wheels wouldn't fit the newer Freelanders. So I duly ordered up another set of Freelander alloy wheels – this time taken supposedly from an 04 Freelander. See:

These

Well I have come to fit them – and although they are a different style of wheel they suffer exactly the same problem. :(

I'm pulling my hair out (and its costing me a fortune in shipping) can anyone help – what are the correct wheels to get for my Van?

I've been told that the later fit alloys have dimples between the fixing holes. See the attached picture for my wheels ('01 TD4)

I don't know if this is universal, but it might be a useful guide.

Rob.

post-27569-0-01262300-1303382666_thumb.jpg

I might be being a bit naive here and haven't seen the problem myself but is it not possible to use some 5mm steel washers as spacers to fill the gap between wheel and drum?

Yes sort of - some 5mm thick washers would partly solve the problem - however the wheel nuts draw the wheel onto the central hub - if the wheel is spaced out by 5mm the wheel wont really be in contact with the hub - which I imagine is supposed to be load bearing - or at the very least accurately locate of the wheel.

In any event I'm not really looking to "work round" the problem - rather to fix it with original parts.

I went to my local independent Landy garage (LandyPart Suffolk) - and they seemed just as bemused as me as to why an 04 wheel wouldn't fit another 04 car - as far as they could tell from the parts manual I had the right alloy wheel.

The wheels you bought may have come off a 2004 car, but they may not have been the original wheels, or the seller may have said they were newer than they are to get a better price.

I think you are right - there seems to be a date code on the back of the wheels indicating they were manufactured in "98" - so its seems certain they were not originally from a 04 car.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 years later...

Hi there,

I've seen a few threads on this topic so apologies for opening up again - but can anyone tell me what spacers I need on an old set of tyres (2001 petrol) to get them to fit my newer model (2004 Td4)?

I've come across the usual issue that I want to put some offroad tyres on 16" rims but managed to buy a pre-2001 set. Have been through all the old threads and seen 5mm and 25mm mentioned - but not clear what the answer is. It seems you can get 5/10mm ones on ebay for pennies, but can't find bigger ones at a price worth swapping the wheels over for.

Thanks for any help!