3.9 EFI not injecting

wee_arthur

It's been said before and always proved true - it's quicker to Megasquirt it than prat about trying to fix the Lucarse junk. :D

I'll second that, having spent ages trying to get to the bottom of intermittent problems with a hotwire system, and eventually given in and installed megasquirt (there was already a megasquirt in the car, but only controlling ignition, not fuelling, which made it an easier decision). Within half an hour of getting the megasquirt up and running I knew what the root of the problem had been (broken wires to both the lambda sensors - they checked out fine with a multimeter but were making and breaking when the engine was running - with megasquirt I could watch the sensor inputs on a laptop and see it happening).

Probably not what you wanted to hear after transplanting the hotwire system, but you'd have been better leaving it in the donor :(

hot wire system is simple. if i was you i'd recheck the whole loom for any problems or get another loom in (there cheap)

when you turn the key you should get the ignition relay click and the fuel pump one should click on for about 5 seconds or so.. so we need to know why this isnt happening.

check your earth. make sure its earth well. if you want pictures of anything just ask as i have now done 2 of my own, first one i had slight trouble and similar to you had no fuel, rechecked everything and been working perfectly now for 18 months. and the second installation has and is working 100%.

you can run your engine without the maf, so 1 less thing to rule out. really then you should only need to concentrate on what 7 wires. perm power, ignition, fuel pump, coil wiring (3 wires) and Main earth.

I'll try and take photos of each part of my set up and it may help.

Al

• 1 year later...

hot wire system is simple. if i was you i'd recheck the whole loom for any problems or get another loom in (there cheap)

when you turn the key you should get the ignition relay click and the fuel pump one should click on for about 5 seconds or so.. so we need to know why this isnt happening.

check your earth. make sure its earth well. if you want pictures of anything just ask as i have now done 2 of my own, first one i had slight trouble and similar to you had no fuel, rechecked everything and been working perfectly now for 18 months. and the second installation has and is working 100%.

you can run your engine without the maf, so 1 less thing to rule out. really then you should only need to concentrate on what 7 wires. perm power, ignition, fuel pump, coil wiring (3 wires) and Main earth.

I'll try and take photos of each part of my set up and it may help.

Al

Are you able to post pics of wiring connections as I'm also doing conversion but really really struggling thanks josh

The hotwire 14cux, when you turn the key to ignition, without cranking, the fuel pump should be energised for a couple of secs and then switches of. It get alive again when rpm signal is sent from -ve from the coil to the ecu (cranking or running).

I would also check the pump inhibit switch (fitted to rrc) . One other important isue is the relays. The relays are not simple relays, but they have a small diode inline (not parallel to the coil). I have observed that with out the diode on the main relay, my engine will not switch off, so maybe this is your case in fuel pump.

See relay schematic bellow.

AFU2913A.jpg