broken landie!!!

Hi All

I have had nothing but bad luck with my Defender, 1986 2.5tb,

i have it repaired back in February and MOT, she had to have a part rebuild on the head, I had :-

Blown Head Gasket

Hot spots dropped

Misfire on N04 Inject

I had other work carried out to pass MOT, however less then 500 miles after the all the repair work, New Head Gasket, New No4 Inject ore, Head skimmed and New Hot spots, as arrived from Sheffield to Lincoln i lost power and started to burn lots of black smoke coming from the exhaust, she stalled and was a bugger to start, when i got the landie home, off the back of a low loader, starting the landie was even harder to start, with white smoke coming from the exhaust then turning black, the road side breakdown service have diagnosed the problem as a cracked head letting in air!!!

To make things worse, the breakdown company charge me £236 to bring the landie home because they think the fault could be related to the repair, i have to prove to them that it is or isn't to get some of my money back, talk about robbing sods! whats the point in having breakdown cover!

I know this is a moan, but dose anyone think could it be related to the repair, if the head is cracked, dose this mean new engine?

I am a very dishearten landie owner on the edge of selling!!! and I was so looking forward to the Driffield Landie Show!

Cheers

dan

Never come across this engine cracking the head - It's a big lump of cast iron. The TD is prone to pistons cracking though, but that usually just pumps oil into the air filter housing and out of the dipstick tube, filler cap, etc. Hotspots can't drop into the cylinder once the head is on, but a broken bit may well do. I think you need to take the head off to have a look at what's happened.

Les.

To make things worse, the breakdown company charge me £236 to bring the landie home because they think the fault could be related to the repair, i have to prove to them that it is or isn't to get some of my money back, talk about robbing sods! whats the point in having breakdown cover!

Sorry to hear of your troubles, and sorry I can't be of help.

I am shocked to read this though! Which breakdown service are you with? Did you tell them about the repairs? I don't see how repairs made in February could possibly have an effect on your recovery in April?? If that was teh case we would most likely all be screwed!