Towing

Hi all,

I have a 110 that I use to tow my CCV thingy.

The 110 is fitted with Gwyn's challenge suspension (which IIRC gives about a 2" lift) & 35" tyres.

Even with the Dixon Bate at it's lowest point I can't hitch the trailer safely so every time I need to do so I'm changing wheels.

Obviously this is a pain in the arse, I can fab extension plates for the drop plate but have heard that a TD5 rear isn't exactly bullet proof

If I do this am I asking for trouble?

Cheers,

Mick.

I had the same problem with a Landcrusier I had with a 4” lift and 35” tyres.

Fitted another drop plate which you can get from any caravan place.

I then fabricated up a bar that tied the drop plate to a point about 3 -4 feet back on the rear chassis.

Frax ;)

Hi

Westerns brackets are the ones I used, you may just be able to see it on the Landcruiser.

As said I fixed a bracket to the bottom two bolt holes on the drop plate and tied it the chassis about 3 feet back so that the strain was directed to the chassis and stopped it twisting on the mounting points.

Sorry can’t get a better picture as I sold the Cruiser and it now lives in Africa.

16062010025.jpg

Frax ;)

Yes it was about 10mm thick - thicker than the original tow bracket.

As far as I remember I used 1" box with two plates welded at the ends to tie it to the chassis.

Frax ;)

You might want to check the law before you start welding, not sure how it applies to Defenders but if a car is registered after 1998 it needs a type approved towbar fitted

Towbars and the law

European Law now states that all light passenger vehicles registered on or after 1st August 1998 require a type approved towbar tested to EC94/20 and towball with suitable D&S value. This is not retrospective and does not affect any vehicle registered before this date. Other vehicles not subject to type approval are ~ commercial vehicles, car derived vans and motor caravans.

Fitment of a non type approved towbar on a vehicle registered on or after 1st August 1998 could result in prosecution and in the event of an accident the vehicles insurance could be invalidated.