clutch or gear box?

goughy

hi all new to the site so be gental ive just got myself a freelander 1.8 masai on an 03 plate great car realy nice to drive problem ive got is when i bought the car took it for a quick test drive with no problems drove it home around 70 miles down the motorway as i came to the slip road went to change down gears and they were realy hard to change had to push the clutch pedle hard down on the floor next day went out and was fine again until about 30 miles in then same again!!! would this be the clutch slave cylinder or more serius like clutch plates? as said its great when cold any help please thanks in advance colin

If the pedal feels the same all the time then check the oil level in the gearbox first.

yes to both the pedle feels the same just harder to get into gear, as said new to landrover so how would i go about checking the oil? dose the gearbox have a dipstick? cheers for the replys :D

Nope, no dipstick... there is a filler plug on the side of the gearbox. Make sure the car is on level ground, then remove the plug. Stick your finger in the hole and see if you can feel the oil level, it should be up to the level of the filler plug.

IIRC the gearbox takes about 2.2 litres of MTF94 from empty. Pop into your local LR dealer and they will be able to sell you a 1 litre bottle like this.

Here's a pic from an MG forum (they use the same gearbox)

Oil_Fill_01.jpg

Good luck and welcome to Land Rover ownership, it won't be long before you are intimately familiar with the oily bits :rolleyes:;)

Dan

Nope, no dipstick... there is a filler plug on the side of the gearbox. Make sure the car is on level ground, then remove the plug. Stick your finger in the hole and see if you can feel the oil level, it should be up to the level of the filler plug.

IIRC the gearbox takes about 2.2 litres of MTF94 from empty. Pop into your local LR dealer and they will be able to sell you a 1 litre bottle like this.

Here's a pic from an MG forum (they use the same gearbox)

Oil_Fill_01.jpg

Good luck and welcome to Land Rover ownership, it won't be long before you are intimately familiar with the oily bits :rolleyes:;)

Dan

thats great thanks for the info ;)