the disco is down!

scabbydisco

driving home from glasgow along the motorway a couple of hours ago and something went bang under the car. limped home. when coming off the throttle, a horrendous noise appared, when driving forward normally, no noise, except when going uphill. got under the motor and I think it's the rear diff front bearing-jacked up one side of motor and spun one rear wheel-rumbling but no crunching noises. turned prop under motor and looks like a lot of play at front diff bearing. are rear axles expensive second hand? that's really put a damper on my weekend! 1994 300 tdi.

thanks for your help guys. any ideas on prices for second hand diffs? are they specific to model or year-i.e. 200/300 tdi?

thanks.

I bought a second hand rear diff earlier this year - eBay - £60.

Works perfectly.

I also bought a recon diff (front) from Rimmer bros last year - £450 !!!. It's definately "tighter" that an £60 one but, If I was doing it again... the £60 wins in terms of value for money.

there's a few on there today,see here. eBay seller "landysom" supplied mine..

Takes about 1 hour to fit... I didn't bother with a new gasket - just give the area a good clean with a rag, then use genral purpose silicon sealant.

Best of luck.

secondhand diff fitted, 3 pinholes chemical metalled, heavy coat of red oxide paint on diff housing. running ok right now, touch wood. thanks for the info provided. now for the annoying wobble when taking away at low speed,replacing

the exhaust system, blanking off egr..........................................................................................