AquaSeal DPM...

SH4RKY

I have 5 Litres of AquaSeal Damp Proof Liquid Membrane thats sitting about unused... and a fairly unprotected underside of a Defender...

Is there any reason why I shouldn't or couldn't use this stuff as a sort of cheap-o waxoyl replacement??

The blurp says:

A rubber / bitumen liquid emulsion with excellent adhesion which dries to a tough black seamless, flexible waterproof and vapour proof membrane. It's a modified bitumen emulsion with excellent adhesion to most surfaces. Once dry forms a continuous, elastomeric and extremely durable waterproof membrane.

Features and Benefits:

Waterproof: Provides a seamless and extremely durable waterproof coating.

Brush Application: Solvent free and non-flammable. Being water based it is less harmful to the environment and tools can be cleaned with water whilst wet.

Elastomeric: The modified bitumen gives unequalled elastomeric properties, which can easily accommodate all normal building movements to retain a watertight seal.

U.V.Resistant

One Coat Application: One coat is normally sufficient to provide a durable waterproofing treatment to most surfaces.

No Primer Required: The excellent adhesive properties enables application to many surfaces without the use of a primer coat.

The rubbery, flexible tough descriptions sound ideal for an underside of a vehicle... no?

It does sound like a good alternatine doesn't it? :unsure:

I think that being water based it could give you problems. Is it hydroscopic when dry or totaly impervious to water?

It won't stop rust like waxoil. Just seal it in.

How does it react to oils when dry?

I didnt think waxoyl stopped rust either? just seals the metal stopping water preventing rust?

Good questions about the oil and water. I'm not sure to be honest, Ill test it out on something and see what happens.

Oh... found this too about one of its uses:

Tanking and Damp proofing Structures below Ground Level: Internal treatment with FEB AQUASEAL HYPRUFE D.P.M can be an effective means of preventing the ingress of dampness but it is unlikely to resist exposure to free water or water pressure.

unlikely to resist free water doesnt sound great... but thats underground, on the under side of vehicle in relatively fast drying conditions perhaps its not relevant.