Caliper brake nipples

moore101

I've just been outside cleaning up my calipers ready for paint and while I was at it I tried one of my new nipples out for size. The thread seems to be the correct M10x1 (tried it in a female fitting and it screwed up lovely with no wobble) but does seem a bit loose in the caliper.

The nipples themselves are noticeably longer and the taper is longer too. I've given one a quick tighten to check it will seal and it seems to be creating a nice even circle mark on the nipple so I guess its right.

See attached picture.

The nipples came from a well known auction site advertised as RTC1526. Looking on LRSeries they seem to be the same long nipple and list it as suitable for rangerover up to 1994 which is what my calipers are off (twin pipe 1991 range rover).

Have found RTC1115 as a bleed screw which looks more like it'd be the right length but isn't threaded along its full length.

Can someone confirm part number for the nipples I need? And move this to part number request section if it'd be more suited there please (have put it in here incase it's a caliper issue)

post-12730-0-61938100-1306765260_thumb.jpg

Well I don't feel quite as silly as if I'd ordered the wrong part, but I should have checked the picture to check the right part is the right part... :unsure:

CONFUSED! :P

That one on rimmerbros definitely looks right though.

Now to have a look around and see if i can buy them in bulk anywhere a bit cheaper but with the same quality, silly calipers needing 3 bleed screws, makes it expensive :(

• 2 weeks later...

Right. Just to update this. I got some more bleed screws off ebay. These have a much better thread on them (they dont wobble when put in the calipers!) and are exactly the same length as the originals. The only difference being they have an undercut under the 'head' which if anything will be better than the originals as that bit of thread only ends up corroding.

See attached pictures.

Just had a thought, I wonder if the bleed screws I got before were 3/8" maybe. Will check and send them back if so.

post-12730-0-13151700-1307814872_thumb.jpg

post-12730-0-82324300-1307814924_thumb.jpg