AAAAARRRRRGHHH ! buggered the new bumper

NicTheOrange90

Took the Disco out yesterday to a fun day with local Landy Club.

Kids had a great time (my reason for getting a five seater) but when entering a hole for the 5th time, the rear gave a louder than normal bang (as the back wheels entered the hole).

On leaving the hole and stopping, the back bumper (fitted only weeks before) was a bit bent as it seems it took the full force of the drop.

The tyre had caught the wheel arch on that side, and I think the culpret might be springs that are a bit on the weak side.

The single bolt that holds the bumper onto chassis member had pulled out.

Made a note in my diary, simply wrote "Bugger"

Will post piccts later on tonight....

The one in Marks photo is a Discoparts H/D bumper that is also held onto the chassis in the centre by a bracket that wraps round the rear chassis crossmember and is secured using the bolt holes for the tow hitch.

Is this what you bent or was it standard one?

I can't seem to get the link to the photo to work. :(

just cant trust some people with nice shiney things, they just smash them without a care in the world.

im surprised what looks like a HD bumper was only fitted with the standard bolts, every one i've seen had a 'fitting kit' that added brackets to various places to spread the load.

I don't think that the picture in my post is what Nic has broken, i was merely suggesting that this is what he should be fitting!

The one in the picture is held on with lots of bolts! The standard bumper only has two M10 bolts holding it on.

Mark

I don't think that the picture in my post is what Nic has broken, i was merely suggesting that this is what he should be fitting!

The one in the picture is held on with lots of bolts! The standard bumper only has two M10 bolts holding it on.

Mark

Actually it was a heavdy duty model, and was only held on with the two standard bolts, and also two slots for the vertically mounted bolts.

gallery_1003_135_9287.jpg

The damage has been caused around the area of the rear light, as this was not strengthened. Also as there were only two bolts and the holes in the chassis are a bit too big, the head bus pulled out.

The bumper came from First Four, and I will be speaking to Peter tomorrow to gauge his reaction.

Mark/Budgie - do you know of bumpers that use the horizontal bolts that go through the chassis (towards the tank)?

Nic,

I've got a DiscoParts bumper and the four bolts you see, securing the D-ring, screw into a bracket that wraps around the rear chassis crossmember. The bracket is secured with two long bolts that use the main tow hitch bolt holes in the crossmember.

The bumper is also secured using the original bumper bolt holes but have a plate to strengthen this position. ;)

BigBoots03_26225231.jpg

Andy I assume your being general with your assignations......

if you ever saw the state of my truck you'd know that was intended tounge in cheek - no offense intended.

i see a 4x4 as something to sculpt (against trees/rocks/mud etc) to show the drivers personality.

Nic,

I've got a DiscoParts bumper and the four bolts you see, securing the D-ring, screw into a bracket that wraps around the rear chassis crossmember. The bracket is secured with two long bolts that use the main tow hitch bolt holes in the crossmember.

The bumper is also secured using the original bumper bolt holes but have a plate to strengthen this position.

It is also cheaper than the one I bent by almost £100...

When my Sankey and other bits have sold on Eblag tomorrow, Ill order one !