High tickover....

Well - the 3.9 fired up today on Megasquirt first time!

2 little problems -

2 injectors not working! Now sorted.

TPS wired up backwards! Now sorted.

One bigger problem.....

(NO idle control, no lambda sensors)

Initially the engine idled at 800 rpm, but was extremely rich. Then I found out that I had forgotten to connect the MAP sensor. Connected that, then the idle shot up to 1500 rpm, and stayed there.

So, I closed the idle screw on the plenum, idle dropped to 1200 rpm. Then I changed the throttle stop to minimum, but that made no difference.

I have gone through the Megatune review, but cannot see anything obviously silly. I also can't find out where to adjust the idle speed.

This is a map from Nige (Hybrid form Hell) so am assuming there is nothing stupid in there to begin with.

Any ideas?

MAP at idel is 37.

I also thought about an air leak, so I've gone round the plenum with contact cleaner spray, but the tickover never changed.

The heated manifold under the plenum is still connected to the water system, so any air leak could be????

I've almost blocked up the plenum air entry with a piece of card, and the MAP went up to 47, then blocked it totally and the engine stalled straight away.

You set the Idle, with the Idle valve removed and both ends of the piping bunged up and with a warm engine, set the idle Via the adjusting screw to around 800 rpm. Idle valve isn't fighting what you are trying to change. I had that problem to start with, and the leaking hole I removed a screw from :rolleyes:

Also the idle settings are in the " More Settings" tab in MT and TS.

OK, stoopid mode OFF.

Have found a solution for the moment.

As there was no idle control valve of any description, the tickover was dictated by the fact that the air bypass was receiving full air flow, so have found a 3 wire PWM valve and inserted it into the said pipe, and then adjusted the idle speed on the plenum.

Idle is now set at 700-750 rpm.

Is this an acceptable solution as my MS is not setup for a stepper driven PWM valve?