Lightweight

PGM316

I've already got a Defender, but decided I also want a Lightweight, maybe a V8 one as fuel consumption isn't a big issue on something that'll be kept in a garage most it's life and mainly used at weekends...

There seems to be some good buys around, I've seem a few on autotrader described as original condition or full rebuilds for about 5k, Seems good value for money for something that should last many years!

My experience only stretches to Defenders, is there anything I should look out for or go for, with a Lightweight?

And is this the right section? Wasn't sure if they're classed as a series III or military.

Cheers :)

Give me 5 grand and you can have mine after i have rebuilt it :D

I've been browsing ebay and autotrader to get an idea of prices. Saw the odd one in original condition and some with a new chasis.

They do seem to go for reasonable prices, for a classic that will probably only go up in value.

5 grand and I'd be slightly tempted to sell mine when I've rebuilt it!

Price really depends on what you're after but for £5 I'd be expecting one with a galvanised chassis and bulkhead, galvanised vent panel, straight bodywork with decent paint, complete rewire, etc.

This one didn't sell and I believe it's still available, possibly even on autotrader

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1969-LAND-ROVER-GREEN-/260779464179?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3cb7aad5f3

It's a tidy truck with an original chassis and I dont remember it having repairs on it (it's still got military underseal on it).

As for things to look out for:

-Chassis, as with any other landrover, if an original then it could well have military underseal which keeps the chassis solid where it sticks but look out for any areas where its started to lift as it creates huge moisture traps.

-Bulkhead, footwells and end repair pieces are available and its all square so not too hard to repair but nice to have a decent condition one to start with.

-Vent panel (upper bulkhead). The lightweight bulkhead is in 2 pieces and the uppers rust out along the bottom of the vent flaps (can't normally notice it until you pull the seals out and find theres nothing left! But they will rust from the inside out.) Pattern ones can be bought for ~£300 or you can repair it with plenty of mig wire and the good old grinder :P

-Engine and gearbox I don't think are too important to you if you're after a V8 one but if it's already converted watch out for dodgy ones with stray wires all over the place and poorly welded engine mounts etc.

-There are a few other lightweight specific bits to look out for such as under bonnet and under arch toolboxes as they're nice originals to have but if you look at it in the same way as a normal series you should be ok.

Lightweight landrover club forum is probably a good place to put a post on as it's a very helpful community,

Price really depends on what you're after but for £5 I'd be expecting one with a galvanised chassis and bulkhead, galvanised vent panel, straight bodywork with decent paint, complete rewire, etc.

Thanks Moore, very helpful post, I will know what to look out for now.

I'd rather not spend £5k if possible, but I would like one as described above, with all the bits that can go wrong sorted. I feel I have enough restoration with the Defender to take another project on.

and I'll check out the forum thanks!

Cheers

Do you want an original one or a modified one? The reason I ask is I have a V8 lightweight which I was considering selling as I haven't used it for two years (it is dry-stored) but it was built for trialling so it has a full internal MSA spec roll-cage. It is not a concourse truck but the panels are all straight and it has lots of new parts; new Exmoor hood, new starter motor, new alternator etc. But best of all it has Range Rover 4 bolt power steering which makes it very driveable. It's got lots of other things like an Edelbrock 1404 carb, offenhauser manifold, K&N pancake filter, Piper cam and the chassis is in excellent condition as are the footwells etc. I am in Cheshire as well so not that far away. Let me know if you want to discuss it.