replace shims

hi all my 90 passsed her m.o.t :) which im very pleased about.

the tester mentioned that i will need to replace the shims in the n/s front wheel soon i take it there is some movement at 12 and 6, and i take it this means the drive flange on the front.

1 can i just change these or is it a complete hub re build.

2 what is the part number for said shims or is it a kit that i can buy

cheers steve

shims only under the top pin, don't remove to many as it'll make it to tight. check the preload afterwards too.

also any idea what to use to check the pre load (tool, or handy gaget to do it with it)

also any idea what to use to check the pre load (tool, or handy gaget to do it with it)

a spring balance as used by fishermen to wiegh their catch, it'll need to read from 1 to 10kgs, your looking for 3.6 to 4.5kg just as the swivel resistance is overcome & it starts to move.

With practice you can do it by feel quite well. It should not move too easily and clonk against the stops, neither should it feel tight at all.

A tip is to make sure you keep all the shims you remove. Eventually you will get to the stage where there are no shims left to take out and then you will have to change the bearings and put the shims back in :P