Simca Portals

pugwash

I can live with my feeble lightweight axles, theres less of me to carry anyway :lol:

coat, loud pedal, sedate diesel getaway.....

If you keep running away from the fight, mr twiglet axles you are never going to win the war :D

Anyway i'd wager i'm more aerodynamic than you, i've got less hair for a start :P

Im a lover baby, not a fighter..............with my boyish gigalo good looks and sylph-like adonis chiseled body

(this may not exactly be accurate)

Run away from a fight?

easy tiger :lol:

I'll drive........

cue guitars and house of the rising sun

"theres is a swamp in karellia, they'll call the sinking dan"

Good work on the G though fella B)

But if the swivels are after the drop box the c/v's are't going to be protected by the portal gearing thus making them weaker.

The final drive on 404's is 80mm od, and everything after the drop box is 40mm od, so with the 2:1 portal gearing it effectively makes the halfshafts 80mm od as well

the design of the simca's looks a bit questionable to me, in that there is an awfull lot of strain on that stub shaft sticking out of the drop box, and the axle cases look a little narrow for getting all the suspension mountings on in the right places

I don't really think from a strength viewpoint that some of the simcas design features matter that much. The vehicles they are being fitted to are just so much lighter than anything the diffs were designed for. What does it matter that they have 63 mm shafts vs 80mm for 404 mogs and 46mm for Volvos. Those diameters really only relate to the weight carrying capacity of the trucks they were fitted to and not the torque capacity of the portal drop boxes themselves. I seriously doubt for example that Mog 404 portal gears are any stronger than Volvos as the relative diameter and width of the gears in both are very similar. The mogs use very coarse splines for their shafts and helical gears whereas Volvos use finer splines and straight cut gears, so the mogs advantage here is not so clearcut . Mogs have stronger double Hooke steering UJ's with a tighter steering lock than the Volvo Birfields, but are a lot heavier and more complicated to fit to more conventional 4x4's. The Simcas look excessively big, heavy, cumbersome and also difficult to fit, particularly to something like a Daihatsu, and I wonder if it will end up as a mini monster truck rather than a practical highly capable all rounder. But just like any portal axled vehicle I would follow the build up thread with interest.

Bill.

Im a lover baby, not a fighter..............with my boyish gigalo good looks and sylph-like adonis chiseled body

(this may not exactly be accurate)

I think theres something in the trade desriptions act about this.

Run away from a fight?

easy tiger :lol:

I'll drive........

Only cause it'd take you too long to drag your arse out of firing range :lol:

cue guitars and house of the rising sun

"theres is a swamp in karellia, they'll call the sinking dan"

I've allready told you my master plan for the russian swamps,

Dive in........

Sink to the bottom........

Drive across the bottom.......

Emerge victorious at the other end...........

Admittedly this plan does come a little awry if theres no actual bottom to the russian swamp in question :D

But then i can always go on to plan B: Bail out of the sinking car into a waiting chopper and flee the country