Cruise Control Help please.....

surveyor

Hope everyone is having a nice weekend !!

Need some of the members expert advice please !!

1997 Discovery........fixed cruise back last fall by replacing all vacumn lines.....worked like a charm afterward. Now all of a sudden it has started acting up. Sometimes when I hit the set button it will engage ......sometimes it won't. I cut off using dash switch....give it a little time and then cut it back on via dash switch......hit set button....it will engage for a few seconds and then disengage. Just very erratic..

The only other thing I have noticed is that about the same time as the cruise started acting up the rear windows did too. Sometimes they work...sometimes they don't ! They too were working perfectly prior to this.

HELP ! :rolleyes:

Thanks,

Doug

I had similar unpredictable symptoms.

I checked everything out per the '96 Rave diagnostics and everything pointed to a bad Cruise ECU but everyone said otherwise. My Vacuum lines were all new and the pedal switches all worked properly. The steering wheel switches were dismantled and cleaned out with an electrical contact product. After checking and rechecking, I eventually sent off my ECU for repair and its worked perfectly ever since. See if you can borrow a known good ECU before you pull out too much hair. I borrowed two others and they were bad too.

Steve

When you went through the diagnostics, how fast did the vacuum pump operate the actuator?

Niamh

When I went through the diagnostics, I was getting no output from the ECU to the vacuum pump. Hence the ECU repair.

Now it works and I cant be exact on the speed. Maybe 1-2 secs to full collapse of the bellows.

Steve

I'm going to have to actually check that at some point as all the diagnostics in Rave are with the ECU disconnected.

Next time I'm playing with it I'll see what sort of speed I get... I know that once actuated the system holds a vacuum as I swithed off the pump but left the solenoid on.

Niamh