poorly disco 1992

bad wolf

I was taking the little ones and the good lady Wife for a picnic in the beautiful French countryside when about ten kilometers from home the following occurred

Just as I started to scale a slight incline the disco did a great impression of 'jumping out of high range'. Un-flustered I grabbed the high / low and shoved it into high range....nothing. I then selected low range and (forgetting how fast I was moving) it let out one of those little shudders that land rovers do when selecting low range at an inappropriate moment / speed...still no drive. Engine is fine clutch pedal good, prop shafts all where they should be.

Rolled to a stop and called the recovery truck. Whilst waiting for said truck did much waggling of high low etc ..still nothing.

Back home and a bit of further diagnostics. The diff lock dash light doesn't illuminate..it used to light up OK.

Rolling the disco in gear indicates that the road wheels are doing something inside the gear box as I can hear the gears engaging etc (albeit quietly).

My conclusion is ...either the 1st motion shaft is stripped or broken or the clutch plate has decided to become a two piece affair. I do tow a 3.5 trailer frequently and fully (over?) loaded. Therefore the above is my first conclusion.

Is there an idiot proof way of finding out the condition of the clutch plate without hauling it all to bits?

We did get to the picnic two hours after we had intended and in the renault 4l....another design success story !

Thank you in advance for your advice and helpful responses;

Yours Bad Wolf

Most likely possibilities are either the clutch centre gone as you suggest, or the mainshaft splines have stripped where it goes into the transfer box. Either is obviously a gearbox out job but you can take the PTO cover off the back of the transfer box and see if you've got movement in there - you can see the end of the shaft turning inside the transfer box input gear if the splines have stripped.

If the splines on the mainshaft have gone would that be evident (shrapnel) in the oil if I drain the tranny box?. I rolled the disco on the flat and I could feel the high low baulking before dropping into gear with the rotation of cogs so that seems normal.

I will start today with dropping the box and ordering a new clutch anyway. Are some clutches better than others remembering that I do quite a bit of heavy towing?.

Thanks for the above !

Regards Bad Wolf

Probably not as it wears away gradually, doesn't produce big lumps, so all you get is a rusty looking mess around the splines. If it is the splines, fit the newer spec input gear on rebuild, this has oil holes drilled in the gear which lubricate the splines properly, this was a mod introduced in 1997 ish which solved the problem.

I guess you already have decided to, but if you're taking the box out I'd fit a new clutch plate/cover/release bearing and fork even if it isn't that.

BW .. you can simply check the mainshaft by removing the PTO cover from rear of transfer box. If it is the problem it will be self evident. Unfortunately only sure fix is new gearbox and uprated transfer gear. Fit new clutch while in there. If it is not the problem then clutch is next thing to check......

It's nearly out, just two bolts in the bell housing and then it can be craned onto the floor. Biggest problem was winching it up onto the wheel ramps, thank goodness for the tirfor. When it is out then I will report back on progress.

Which clutch package has the best reputation ?

I don't want to do this for another ten years !

regards

Me again.

Started at about ten in the morning and by four in the afternoon I have a clutch plate in my hand.

At first I thought it was OK, I was expecting the steel on the webs to have sheared. What has happened is the rivets that hold the plate tight onto the springs have stretched allowing the centre boss to rotate freely. Two of the springs had turned ninety degrees in their holes.

Complete new kit ordered and a Heavy duty fork too.

I was wondering how much a complete clutch replacement would cost at a garage....I can use that information to cheer up the wife.

Thank you for all the above assistance

Regards

Depends entirely on the hourly rate for the garage really.

The failure you describe is the most common one - except that the rivets often break completely so what you get is a pile of springs and shrapnel in the bottom of the bell housing :)

While you have it sitting on the floor I'd take the small amount of extra time to pull the PTO cover off the back of the transfer box, take the gear out and inspect the splines on the mainshaft and inside the gear for any wear. It's a lot easier to do with the box on the floor and is the other main failure point. Just be sure you note which way the gear comes out ... on some ratios of transfer box you can put it back in the wrong way round and that causes an almighty bang and a sudden need for a new transfer box :huh: somewhere around at work I have a little box containing a pile of gear teeth out of a transfer box on an old 90 I used to own which I use to "educate" people as to why it's worth getting it right ;)

Before I take off the PTO cover and look at the splines and gear I would like to know how much of a job is it to replace said gear and shaft. Is it beyond the likes of a diy mechanic?. I am capable of overhauling the tranny box and recently changed timing belt and water pump as well as a head gasket skim job.

Regards BW

It's a total gearbox stripdown to change the shaft and TBH if it is kaput I'd get an exchange reconditioned gearbox and fit that. No reason why you could not do it yourself with all the tech info and a decent set of tools but if it is original, on a near 20 year old box you would probably end up changing a ton of other stuff as well. Unless it's a really good box I'd get a recon.

Yahoo (as in cheer, not search engine) got the clutch today at 14.00 and I drove it back from the workshop at 17.30...very chuffed. I must confess I didn't look at the splines behind the pto because even if they are badly worn I can't afford to do the work so best left alone I think.

thank you all for you assistance throughout what is my first clutch change on a disco (done plenty of series).

I will be back......

regards Bw